Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Change Of Mind

I am going to tell on myself: I have been in a rut for months.

My daily routine has served a purpose as a way to get through the days while I have had lots of time on my own. When I didn't know which way to turn or what to do next I figured there was always laundry to wash, meals to cook, vacuuming to do, bathrooms to clean, paperwork to file, cars to maintain...and when I finished one round I could start again. My days were busy, if not fulfilling.

In the process I established a habit of putting off finishing things because I have had a lot of time to fill. I recognized this pattern and have made attempts to step up the pace and set deadlines to get projects completed so I can start again, do things differently, move forward.

It's not that I haven't been trying to climb out of this place I've made for myself.

The harder I've tried to do things differently, the more stuck in place I've become. Default position of the daily routine wins again. After all, there will be hours tomorrow, there will be days next week. Meanwhile the days look the same and anything that would break me out of the routine gets put off.

For a long time I thought I needed to change me.

I got past that misconception and figured I needed to change my situation.

When that didn't work I conceded I was stuck.

Or that is what I thought....

Now I know a change of mind will change everything.

Like any new way of doing, it's taking time and effort to establish new patterns. Thankfully, I am not alone. My friend Teri is focusing on the word "pause" this year, and she is generously sharing her journey with photos and reflections. Thank you, Teri, and maybe we can encourage each other.

Now I know I can do something new, I can choose to do things differently.

Tomorrow when I wake up I will pause and consider the possibilities.

1 comment:

teri said...

I am going to tell on myself as well. I went forward in January pausing just at the right time... but at the moment I feel more stuck than pausing. Maybe I think too much. Your encouragement means more than you know right now. xoxo your sister in stuckness-

I threw my quilt in the wash this morning and am considering washing the sheets and painting the dings in the hallway. Am I avoiding what I need to do?