Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Word To Stand On

My word for this year has taken its sweet time to reveal itself. I have tried several words that seemed like they would be a good fit for 2012, but none of them stuck. It seemed like maybe there were too many things to focus on this year to limit myself to one word. I was disappointed but this is one of those things that cannot be forced.

On Friday I had an appointment with my massage therapist. My knees and hips ached, and my posture was terrible.

Our session started with a conversation about the shifts taking place in my life right now. I talked about how I have come to the decision to return to teaching. We agreed that it can be satisfying to learn skills, to practice to the point where you feel competent, and that it's okay to do something you're good at. Some of us are geared to continually strive to learn more and be challenged, when the most satisfying course might be savor what we already know.

I got up and she looked closely at how I was standing. My hips were tilted forward and locked in place. My head was stuck on my shoulders. I said that this was my body's default position; when I am stressed I forget everything I know about how to keep all my moving parts moving.

Then she said something that she has shared with me before but I have not been able to absorb. She is currently studying the Alexander Technique, which very simply put is teaching a body to move freely and naturally. When I say I have fallen back to my default position, she reminds me that habits can be changed. During that moment of realization I have a chance to change what I have always done, during that pause I can do something different.

On Friday she shared with me a quote from one of her instructors:

"A pause is the moment in which all things are possible."

Oh. My. Goodness.

A pause is the moment in which all things are possible.

I left feeling so much better and walking so much taller.

On Sunday I woke to the word "possibility" ~ my word for 2012.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Perfect. And the beauty of a pause is, we can initiate one with a simple word ... Wait! Everything stops after that word, wait, as the possibilities come into view.

starrlife said...

Love that word Sharon!So full of hopefulness as well as acceptance. Be well.
Can't get by your word verification- it's possessed!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Possibility
it is always there.
You have so much
life to live.
The 50,s are so young.
Since I am far beyond
I can smile and say this to you.

Carolynn Anctil said...

That's a word that's just ripe with .... well, possibility! I love the quote, too. I equate the word Grace with her definition of pause.

mermaid said...

Sharon, thank you so much for reminding me about the sacred pause, and possibility to create a new path for myself rather than reverting back to the old.

You have a wonderful word that came to you through trust, patience, and intuition...all aspects of the Sacred Feminine!

May you pause often this year and wear your word well.

cindy said...

I really love this. Have not heard of the method of body work, but I know from continually working on correcting my own bad posture that it is possible to change if we just take that moment to pause and realign. Good for you!

Laura said...

Oh yes Sharon this is perfect... at first I thought you were going to choose pause...but possibility chose you!