Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Got The Job

I have been waiting to say those words for four years.

While I didn't anticipate that they would be in reference to a teaching job, it feels good to type them all the same.

On Monday I start as the long-term substitute 7th grade science teacher at a middle school that is nineteen miles from my house. Today I came home to the message from the principal on the answering machine. I called him back to accept the job. He said it took this long to ask me to take the job because it's February vacation week and it took some time to contact my references.

The interview on Friday was as good as any interview for a teaching job I've ever had. I thought I felt a connection and spoke a common language, but with my track record over the last four years I wasn't sure I could trust my gut instinct when it came to how I am perceived and whether or not I am qualified.

It turns out I can. When I sat around a table with the principal, vice principal, guidance counselor, and language arts teacher to talk about teaching 7th grade, it was true that we share a similar philosophy of education. We care about kids, how they develop, and what they need. We agree that the emphasis should be on how we learn and opportunities to demonstrate what we know.

When I applied for this job ten days ago I thought I was beginning the process of returning to teaching. I thought it might take a while to find a position and that I might need to piece together jobs this spring to get my feet under me.

Instead I hit a homerun right out of the box. All indications are that I have landed in a school that cares about students and teachers, a place where it matter that people work together and succeed.

There will be a substitute [for me] in classes on Monday so I can meet teachers and students, get to know the school, and complete paperwork. I have the phone number for the teacher I am temporarily replacing and have been encouraged to call her to see what she can share about students. I have been told many times that the other teachers will help me with anything I need. [In contrast, the last year I taught I went into a classroom that had not so much as a pencil in the desk drawer. When I shyly asked the school secretary how I might go about getting a few supplies, she took a look around the room and said, "She didn't leave you with a thing, did she?"]

I feel hopeful, yet cautious. I feel nervous, yet excited.

It feels like I am beginning again.

14 comments:

Joanne said...

WooHoo! Cue the air horn! Let me be the very first to congratulate you! This is amazing news, and I'm sure you're thrilled. I know I was when I read your Post Title in my Reader. You will bring such an enthusiasm to the classroom that the students will connect with.

What a great day in Maine, you really deserve this Sharon, and I'm so happy for you :)

Laura said...

Oh Sharon this is fantastic news!!!! I had a feeling this one would work out. I am so pleased for you my friend.

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like a perfect fit. All good things come to those who wait. Congratulations!!

CaShThoMa said...

Congratulations Sharon! This is exciting news.

annie said...

This is wonderful. Congrats and enjoy.

mermaid said...

'Instead I hit a homerun right out of the box.'

Possibility indeed!

'It feels like I am beginning again.'

May you feel the support of Mother Earth and loved ones always as you begin again.

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful news. Congrats to you, Sharon! I can tell you have a good feeling about this, and I do too. This is a major step in a wonderful direction.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Did not read your post yesterday.
Now this early morning I read
you have "hit a homerun."
So very happy for you and you are giving me my morning smile.
I knew it would happen when it was suppose to - never had a doubt.
Again I am so happy for you :)
Good luck wishes
and of course you can do it
and it is natural to be nervous...,

teri said...

Oh my dear friend- I think of you the day before you head back. Out of the four year waiting...I am given enough hope for me... that I am brought to tears as I type. I wish I could be right there to give you a celebratory hug. I know you looked far and wide- and in a way have come back to this place. I send you lots of love -you will have some many people to share it with now. xo teri

starrlife said...

Oh I am so HAPPY for you Sharon! You will make your mark and your SW skills will add a whole new dimension to how you see the world! I am very proud of your ability to make it through!
grr word veri

Anonymous said...

I have followed your journal, but never left a message.

I feel you are a Great teacher and that could be why your other inquires into employment have not manifest.

Those of us with grandchildren know that there is not ANY position in life more important than "teacher".

I know you will be successful as far as the children are concerned. I only pray that "you feel" that you are on the right path for you at this time.

Be in the moment and enjoy each second of how you are influencing the future of our country.

Pienosole said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news! I'm wishing you much joy.

Helen said...

As I write, you are half-way through day 1. Enjoy my friend! I know you will inspire and excite your students.

"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think." ~ Socrates

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Hi, Sharon. I am SO happy for you! I have been behind catching up with my online friends because life has moved so quickly lately for me. (My father-in-law's Alzheimer's quickly grew worse and he passed away this winter. Then I interviewed and was accepted for a paid internship at a book publisher in our area.)

But I can tell how happy you are and I will be reading more of your newer posts!

So happy for you!