Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An Unlikely Choice

I took myself to the movies tonight. I needed a movie fix.

It has been slim pickin's for new releases so far this year, so much so that I have watched again my favorite movies from last year. We use Netflix, but I got tired of waiting for The Help and Moneyball so I bought those two. I enjoyed again two movies I relished as matinees last summer, Win Win and The Beginners. I have yet to see Iron Lady and Albert Nobbs, so they have been saved in the Netflix queue.

Last year spoiled me. It was a great year for quality movies with solid performances. I must have had a sense there would be a bumper crop because at the beginning of last year I set a goal to see 24 movies in the theater. By year's end I had seen 25.

Desperate for a big-screen fix I found a showing of a movie I had seen previewed. It looked interesting, a documentary in Japanese about the highest rated sushi chef in Japan. I don't eat sushi, but after seeing Jiro Dreams of Sushi I would travel to Japan to eat in Jiro's restaurant. His story is one of a man who loves his work and feels that there is always room for improvement. His oldest son, age 50, does most of the work at the restaurant but will not officially take over until Jiro steps down, which neither one of them is anxious to have happen. They work hard and take pride in what they do. Jiro advises everyone to do their best at whatever they do.

Sometimes a movie finds me.

6 comments:

cindy said...

I take myself to the movies too! I usually go see rom-coms though, since my husband dislikes them. We don't have a theater around that shows good foreign or indie films. For those films, I need to drive about 30 minutes, or wait for Netflix:)

Carolynn Anctil said...

I've heard of that movie. I love taking myself to the movies. After my divorce, I would celebrate each New Year's Eve by going to the movies. Best way to ring in the New Year if you're by yourself.

The Frenchman and I watch a ton of movies, but have been very disappointed with the selection this spring, too. Iron Lady was a disappointment. Merle Streep is amazing, as usual, with her absolute transformation, but the movie itself was oddly put together. I wouldn't watch it a second time.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

No nice theatre in my small time
One that is very old and small and would not feel comfortable going by myself.
The downside of small town living.
I think it has been 10 years since I went into a theatre :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

correction
small town
not small time

mermaid said...

To do the best at whatever we do, huh? Thanks for the advice. So glad the movie found you.

teri said...

We just got netflix two weeks ago... I have yet to figure out how to use it. I guess I had better get with the program! So ok now I have the netflicks screen up...It is a start. I will keep you posted. Have a great rest of the week and thanks for all the movie tips.