Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My Gratitude

On Thursday Laura will post her Gratitude Quilt.  I encourage you to visit her site, especially if you haven't seen the Quilt before.  It is amazing.

I have contributed in years past.  I didn't this year.  I thought about it.  I would close my eyes, take a deep breath, and think about what I am grateful for.  Everything that comes to mind belongs to someone else: my kids are great, my husband loves his job, my friends check in when they don't hear from me, and so on.  When I focused on what is mine, I see my car.  I can say that here but I'm not going to share that with the world.

I continue to push forward like I always have.  I exercise, meditate, practice lovingkindness, and make an effort to do things for others.  I support and encourage family members and friends in their endeavors. Yet, I cannot gain any traction in getting where I want to be in the world.

I was thinking about this on Sunday while I made the bed.  One more thing is not going to work out the way I thought it would.  I let go of the expectation without a second thought.  I questioned why I am able to do that.  Am I hard hearted?  I looked at that question objectively, not judging whether it was good or bad but wondering if that could be an explanation.  Is that why I keep going?

Later in the day my daughter and I went shopping.  She came back to the house for the evening, and after dinner she and I lingered over coffee at the table.  We both follow bloggers who have children, and we regularly discuss the different ways people handle their experiences.  My daughter has friends who have children, and she is seriously considering what it means to be a parent.  She asked me how I did it.  More specifically she wanted to know how I knew how to be a parent to her.

I thought for a moment.  I was 23 when she was born.  I was overwhelmed with joy at her birth, while at the same time I was heartbroken at the loss of her twin sister.  I didn't know enough to know all the things that could go wrong.  I didn't have time to be scared.  I knew I had a tiny baby to care for, I was the person responsible for her life.

On Sunday I told her that she came first, that she survived and thrived were the most important things.  I always wanted her to know she was loved no matter what.  My sadness was mine and separate from her.  My living daughter was my priority, as were her brothers when they were born.  I would do what I needed to do for me on my own time.  I never wanted my children to feel responsible for my feelings.  I am the parent and it was my job to take care of them. 

Then my daughter thanked me.  She said she has always felt loved and accepted for who she is.  She knew I was sad sometimes but never felt that it was her fault or that she had to take care of me.  She watched me get better, and she thanked me for modeling how to work through problems. 

I told her that I would have missed so much joy if I had done it any other way.  I wanted to be present for every moment of my children's lives.

I asked her if she thought I was hard hearted.  Sometimes I pushed my children to keep going, too.  She said she always knew I cared, that I would be there for her no matter what.

I am grateful that I had this conversation with my daughter.  This is what I will remember about Thanksgiving this year.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  May your gratitude find you, too.   

10 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you for being willing to push yourself and the rest of us!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Hard hearted is the furthest thing I would acquaint with you. Words that come to mind are kind, thoughtful, introspective, and resilient. To be able to receive a disappointment and let it go, without attachment, is something few of us are able to do with such serenity.

As for the other things you're waiting on, they will make themselves known when the time is right and then you'll look back on this time of struggle with new understanding and wonder in your heart at how the Universe has held you so lovingly in its trust all along.

Blessings,
Carolynn

cindy said...

My mom and I had a nice heart-to-heart like that recently. Mom is the one person who I know that whatever awful mess I have gotten myself into, she will listen and help me get myself out of it.

Helen said...

YOU are great — kind, loving, funny, generous, talented. Your kids are great because of your parenting; you are an educated, inquisitive, articulate woman who shares herself in many ways with many people. Hard hearted? Oh my gosh; don’t even put that out there to the universe. That is so NOT you. As we age, reflect on our world view, and grow in wisdom through experience we learn to steel ourselves for trials and difficult decisions, but that is not hard hearted my dear friend.

Truly your mother-daughter conversation is a blessing to be tucked away in your heart and remembered always. You are a blessing to your family. And to me!

mermaid said...

Sharon, I wish I could mirror back your soft heart, your poetic prose, your intuitive courageous being. When it's hard for me to see certain aspects of myself clearly, I practice a different form of lovingkindness. I see myself through the eyes of others who know me and love me dearly.

I'm glad your daughter mirrored your beautiful spirit. May you hold it close to your heart this Thanksgiving and always.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

What a wonderful conversation between a mother and daughter! I think that nobody expects us to be a perfect parent except ourselves. And I think that, even during rocky periods in relationships, if we love our kids, they sense that! Sharon, all the posts I've read from you show a thoughtful and sensitive and caring person...also very discerning!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, what a wonderful post.
It was a blessing to me :)
Thank you for all your comments to me and your uplifting words...

Things that make me happy said...

Sharon, your posts always resonate, and I am sorry I haven't had time to come by to read them more often. In particular, this line hit home: "Yet, I cannot gain any traction in getting where I want to be in the world." I think many women are facing this same quandary, especially at midlife.

Secondly you mentioned talking to your daughter about what it means to be a parent. Do you have a copy of my book, Writing Home? It's all about what it means to be a parent, part of a family. If you don't have a copy, I would love to send you one as a Christmas gift. Contact me privately if you wish ...
Blessings to you, Cindy

Laura said...

thank you dear one for mentioning my post... and I believe you are quite soft hearted, and that is why you hurt so much sometimes, why you seek ways to protect yourself consciously and unconsciously... You are wonderful, beautiful, generous, kind... return that generosity, that kindness to your wonderful beautiful self Sharon... I read your post above... all those members of the committee live inside of you... different voices will be louder at times than others, it would be nice to drown them out... but they are there... perhaps finding a way to befriend them, to reframe their commentary would be helpful? I think this is the wisdom of SoulCollage practice... it allows us to see the different members of the board with fresh eyes, and find compassion in between the "words"

teri said...

Oh Sharon-my heart goes out to you. Your broken heart continues to echo. I know this heart. You are not hard hearted. You tucked away your loss to protect your children-and yourself. It lingers.I am so sorry I have not been here for you this fall and missed so many of your posts.