Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reflections On An Election

I have spent the last two weeks immersed in coverage of the 2012 election.  I gave myself over to it because it was on my mind every waking moment anyway.  I wanted to know as much as I could about every aspect ~ the candidates, the issues, the polls, the analysis, and the predictions.

I love politics.  I have had an interest since my earliest memory of knowing what the word meant.  I see a connection between my life and politics at every level.  I marvel at the changes in this country in my lifetime because of the people who have been elected and how they have worked for progress through leadership and legislation.

Anyone who said the 2012 election did not matter has not been paying attention.

Across the country there was much at stake ~ reproductive rights, health care, education, union rights, movement toward alternative energy and away from war, civil rights, jobs, our social safety net, fair and just immigration policy, the environment, diplomatic relations with other countries, and respect for differences within our own borders.

At one point on election night I realized I was holding my breath.  I was able to breathe in deeply and exhale with relief at 11:15 p.m. when Ohio was called for President Barack Obama.  As more results came in his margin of victory grew.  The final tally was 332 electoral votes for President Obama, as well as a majority of the popular vote, which made him one of a handful of presidents in history to be re-elected with such numbers.

It was also a historic election for women who will serve in Congress: There will be 20 women in the Senate, sixteen Democrats and four Republicans, and there will be 80 women in the House, sixty Democrats and twenty Republicans.

Maine elected its first Independent Senator and was one of three states to pass a law for marriage equality by popular vote.

I have been basking in the election results for a week.  I know that the political road ahead will be bumpy and that none of these numbers in any way promise that a consensus will be reached easily on any issue.  I also know that we have to start somewhere.  I am optimistic that we are in a good place to begin the work that needs to be done.   

No comments: