Tuesday, October 30, 2012

All Quiet On The Home Front

Monday night we went to bed to the sound of wind whipping around the house.  Earlier in the evening the lights flickered but we didn't lose power.

I woke up this morning to a wet deck, a yard covered in leaves, and the power still on.  The internet was wonky and then out during a brief thunderstorm.  We lost power for less than an hour this afternoon.

I waited for the other shoe to drop, sure that we hadn't seen the worst.  Instead, the sun broke through the clouds while rain pelted every side of the house for about twenty minutes.  I sipped coffee while I went from window to window, glad I'd left the screens in because they were getting a good cleaning.

We got lucky, and we know it.

The places that were hit with heavy rain and strong winds were hit hard.  People and government in those states have a huge clean-up ahead and tough decisions to make if extreme weather is becoming the new normal.

I went to sleep last night praying for everyone I could name in the path of the storm.  As far as I know my family and friends all made it through in good shape.  I promised myself Eggo waffles for breakfast and time on the treadmill if I woke up with the power on.  I savored every bite and enjoyed every step.

We go to bed grateful tonight that we are safe and sound.     

5 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

So glad to hear you're okay. I'm glad the storm was a disappointment and I love your morning reward!

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Glad to hear you're okay. (I hadn't thought about the idea of letting nature clean the screens.)

mermaid said...

Sharon, glad to hear you are safe. Also touched to hear so many others are in your prayers.

Helen said...

From the desert southwest I watched news accounts with my friend who was visiting from the Philly area. The predictions and reports seemed surreal as we experienced clear blue skies and temps near 80. We texted, emailed, and phoned family and friends in Sandy's path. And waited.

Compared to those who took a direct hit, minor issues and inconveniences for those we know and love. Answered prayers. Continuing heartfelt prayer for the multitude that have been devastated. I agree with my son's sentiment--"I wish we could go east and help."

cindy said...

Sharon, thank stars you are safe. Watching the devastation from Detroit, it's all too real. Let's both pray this is NOT the new normal.