Friday, March 8, 2013

City Girl At Heart

Last week I packed my youngest son's possessions into boxes.  Ken and I rented a U-Haul on Friday, loaded the truck with furniture and my car with boxes, and drove to Boston on Saturday.  Our son was moving into his first real-world apartment, and we were excited to help him move.

The apartment, a third floor walk-up in a hundred-year-old brownstone, is in a nice neighborhood just minutes from public transportation.  The place is spacious and his roommates are great.  Our son thanked us for our help, and we thanked him for inviting us to be part of the weekend.  We kidded him about staying in shape because there are lots of steps from the street to his front door.  At the end of the day I wished I had kept count.

The weather was perfect for moving, though there was still evidence of February's blizzard along the roadside.  I did most of the driving and am proud to say that I did okay parking between the piles of snow, navigating one-way streets, and yielding to pedestrians.  I am determined to maintain my skills as a city driver, although I could use some practice parallel parking in the new car.

It was a fun weekend.  We stayed with the friends who have been hosting our son since he started working in Boston.  We enjoyed leisurely conversations at mealtimes, a chance to catch up on what everyone has been doing.  It was like sitting at our own dinner table.

I love spending time in Boston.  Every time I go I remember what a city girl I am at heart. 

4 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Remembwr well each of my children moving to another city.
In the past loved visiting the different cities. Now 2 grandchildren in N.Y., once soon moving to Virginia and it brings back memories. Thaak you for sharing this special time...

mermaid said...

Sounds like you can appreciate the perks of city life and still remain a country girl at heart.

teri said...

A city girl- living in the wilds of Maine. I guess you get enough by visiting a city now and then? I used to think I was supposed to be living on a hundred acres far away from anyone. I am not so sure anymore. I do think I could manage being near the ocean, but then again maybe the American desert. No maybe in the woods a great view by a stream. And since I can't decide and my husband would miss me (when he comes home) I guess I will stay here in my little town. It is not a big city but I think you would like it. xo teri

Lucia said...

I moved to Portland ME from Los Angeles almost exactly 2 years ago, and I'm still trying to get the hang of "city living" on the P-land scale. Not to say that I don't love it, because I do! I'm glad to find your blog, and will be back for more. Happy St Paddy's!