Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Flower Garden Quilt

Two years ago I lined up pieces of Martha Negley fabric I'd bought but was having a hard time cutting into. 

I wanted to make a quilt but couldn't decide how to best accommodate the different-sized designs or make the most of the variety of colors.  My solution was to first cut squares a size that used the most of each piece of fabric and then lay the squares out in a pattern.

I sewed the squares together and then set the quilt top aside.  I've always used sheets to back quilts ~ sheets are the right size, wash well, and last a long time.  Eventually I bought a pale green sheet and then I decided to hand quilt this one, a first for me.  It didn't take me long to understand why most quilters do not like to use sheets for the backing ~ it's hard to get a needle through a 100% cotton sheet.  I stayed with it though, and last week I finally finished my Flower Garden Quilt.  I am particularly proud of the back where I added an insert near the top made of fabric strips, my daughter's suggestion to lengthen the sheet.  I like the design as a reminder of the pieces of fabric I thought so long about at the beginning.




9 comments:

RURAL said...

That is just simply stunning...my eye travels from the top to the bottom delighting in the way the colors flow.

What a beautiful quilt.

Jen

Marcia said...

Wish I had the beautiful flower quilt right now the way the snow is blowing...
Nice work!

Helen said...

A gorgeous work of art and a bright reminder that spring is coming. Love the way the colors flow and blend. Another beautiful quilt thanks to your thoughtfulness and artistic creativity.

Kudos to your daughter for suggesting the strip on the back. Nice addition!

Carolynn Anctil said...

So pretty! It'll look stunning when it's all done and dressing your bed.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This is beautiful and reminds me of the many quilts I have of my mother's. I am not handy with a needle and admire one who is.
Thank you for sharing...

Hill Top Post said...

You do have an eye for color and design...beautiful quilt.

mermaid said...

They say we create what we most need. That quilt is so stunning Sharon, as you are you when you step into your own fullness of color.

starrlife said...

What a beautiful quilt! You are so talented Sharon!

teri said...

There's spring!!! I love it!