Monday, May 5, 2014

Change Takes And Gives Time

Don't rush April.  Unfamiliar words but ones I uttered more than once this year.  I thought the month was almost over only to realize we were barely halfway through.   

Part of it was the weather, slow to warm and unable to encourage all the usual suspects to bloom before May arrived.  Maybe I thought rushing the month would also rush warmer temperatures, but that didn't work.

Part of it was the way I have been paying attention to what I am doing and how I am feeling and asking why.  This is hard to describe without sounding like I've been totally self-absorbed.  I have not turned into a complete hermit, and it's not like the people around me are aware of what I'm doing.  When my chest feels tight, I think about where I am, who I am with, and what I am doing.  When I am feeling relaxed I ask the same questions.  I focus on my breathing and take stock of what the rest of my body is doing and feeling.  This process makes me hyper aware of the passage of time, and the result has been a lengthening of my days.

And part of the reason for the longer-than-usual month of April is that I am changing patterns and routines.  Before I do something physical I ask if there is a way to do it I haven't tried before.  I have rearranged furniture in the three rooms where I spend most of my time.  I have stopped trying to manage my emotions ~ the tears come and I allow them to flow; I laugh more easily; I have said what I felt instead of squashing my words, and yes, I have felt the need to apologize.

During my massage on Friday I said that the tightness in my chest now feels like more of a vibration than an ache.  The feeling has become a signal to pay attention.  My massage therapist picks up on those small changes and notices the correlating changes she feels in my body.

She and I are both movie buffs, and we like to compare notes during my massage.  She was working on my right shoulder when I started describing the premise of one of my favorite baseball movies,  Moneyball.  It is the true story of how Billy Beane used statistics to draft and trade players based on their on-base percentages in order to build a winning team on a limited budget.  I had watched the movie the afternoon before.  As general manager Beane didn't care what position the player used to play; he could teach a catcher to play first base.  All that mattered was the player's ability to get on base. I described in great detail how Beane convinced players to stop doing what they thought they did best: Steal bases?  Not anymore - get on base and stay there.  Bunt?  Nope - hit the ball and get on base.  Billy Beane convinced players to change their habits and the team had a twenty-game winning streak, the first ever in American League baseball.

My shoulder released and I had an "aha" moment: It's not easy to change habits but there may be unexpected and extraordinary rewards when I do.  It's worth the effort to keep trying.

After the massage Ruth handed me a tiny orange origami crane she'd made that morning.  She reminded me that orange is the color of the second chakra, the place of personal power with ourselves and others.  Since February I have written daily in a small orange journal my daughter gave me.  I write one sentence about my day.  That simple act has encouraged me to start journaling again.

The journey continues....

*Follow-up note about the cat that showed up at our door one Friday night.  A woman who lives a quarter mile down the road, and deeper in the woods than we do, learned on Facebook from another neighbor that we had rescued a cat.  She called me Tuesday morning and I told her the cat was at the shelter.  The next day the shelter posted a photo of the reunion on FB.  Full circle.  

8 comments:

RURAL said...

Sharon, it's your voice, your personality your outlook on life that draws me to your blog. I find a type of solace in your words..and I am sure that others do also.

This is such a interesting journey, life, blogging, living...

Jen

Carolynn Anctil said...

I commend your tenacity. It's not easy to break habits and stretch ourselves, but the rewards are great.

Such happy news about the cat!

Happy May! Onward and upward.

Blessings,
Carolynn

MsGraysea said...

Sharon!
Oh my, I just finished writing a post and came here to tell you, and reading your words of today made me ask myself why I couldn't have expressed my "place" right now the way you did. I think you were reading my mind. Your words, as Jen said portray my quest in so many ways.
Thank you so much, and I am thrilled to hear about the cat story!! I will be sure to share the news with MS G!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh my
another
you words are mine.
Thank you for reminding me...

Anonymous said...

It is true -- even in a literal sense -- that we take the same route day after day because it's so easy to go on auto pilot.

Oh, the cat -- that's very good news.

cindy said...

So happy for kitty & mom reunion:) All of April, I kept thinking "enjoy this" because beginning in May I knew my life would hit busy and stay that way until January 2015. I loved taking things slow, so looked at my calendar and spotted pockets of free time every single month. Breathing easier now and reminding myself that I'm only as busy as I allow myself to be. Rocking the slow lane when she comes:)

Wisewebwoman said...

And one of the benefits of "change" is that it opens up new pathways in our brains. A rewiring.

Keep up the good fight my friend :)

XO
WWW

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you a little. Hope we can visit each other often now! Sweet hugs, Diane