Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Second Sowing

The books I bought in March at a used book store have provided hours of reading and reflection.   I was going to write one post about my finds, but each book is special in its own way.  Starting today, and for the next few Tuesdays, I will post a bit about each book.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Twenty-five years ago a friend loaned me a book that her sister had loaned her.  She said I had to read it because it was about all the things we talked about as women, wives, and mothers.  That was surprising because the book was written in 1955.  I read the book in a weekend, then bought my own copy which I have read again and again because it still speaks to my life experience.  That book was Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  I never thought to ask if she'd written anything else.

Then in March I came across a book of poems that Lindbergh wrote between 1935 and 1955 titled The Unicorn and Other Poems.  I haven't read the book from beginning to end; I open the book to any page and read the poem that appears.  Page 32 was my first and remains my favorite.  I read it while I was holding my grandson ~

Second Sowing
by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
       
For whom
The milk ungiven in the breast
When the child is gone?

For whom
The love locked up in the heart
That is left alone?

That golden yield
Split sod once, overflowed an August field,
Threshed out in pain upon September's floor,
Now hoarded high in barns, a sterile store.

Break down the bolted door;
Rip open, spread and pour
The grain upon the barren ground
Wherever crack in clod is found.

There is no harvest for the heart alone;
The seed of love must be
Eternally
Resown.

9 comments:

Balisha said...

One of my favorite books too. I read it over and over. Just a small tattered paperback, given to me by a Pastor many years ago.
Loved reading the poem.
Balisha

Deb said...

What a poignant poem, especially with the retrospective knowledge that they lost their child. Thank you for sharing it Sharon. Deb

MsGraysea said...

Oh Sharon, I began to cry the minute I saw the name of the book. My mother kept nudging me to read that book so many years ago and finally as a young mother , I got it! It is one of my most favorite things and I have given countless copies as gifts. The poem you chose is so poignant and perfect. Thank you for reminding me that I must acquire another copy to go in the new little library I will have at my new home.

Cindy said...

Lovely poem. And I've had Gift From the Sea on my list forever!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm going to enjoy these Tuesdays. Thank you.

Wisewebwoman said...

I just love both books, she's a powerful writer. Somebody gifted me Gifts from the Sea yonks ago, I must dig it out, I read it so many times.

Lovely idea for these Tuesdays :)

XO
WWW

RURAL said...

Silly Blogger, it ate my comment.

I think I said something like...

She was an amazing, educated, and inspiring woman, who faced adversity, and troubles in life with a vision of the future.

One remarkable woman.

Jen

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

One of my favorite books also.

One of my favorite books also.
Very worn and underlined.
I have given one to each of my
daughter's. Thank you for reminding me and I must "Gifts From The Sea"
take you off the bookshelf :)








~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've always wanted to read A Gift from the Sea. I'm going to have to look for a copy! Enjoy your week! Hugs!