Sunday, September 7, 2014

Good-Bye Longwood

Yesterday my husband loaded up his van one last time to move the last large bits from my daughter's old house to the new.  Today my daughter and I made our last trip to Longwood to pack up what was left and to say good-bye.  Again and again I walked from room to room, amazed that the house looked empty but wasn't....

Memories of how the yard has changed but the neighbors out back never did~

How much I still like the oak cabinets and kitchen floor we picked out in 1985~

The ivy in the 15-year old bathroom tile reflected in the original medicine cabinet~

The hardwood floors I stripped myself and hand-rubbed with linseed oil~

The bookcases Ken built with a friend that perfectly fit the den~

The oak door we refinished and returned to the front of the house~

The crimson king maple that was Ken's first Father's Day present~

I know every inch of the house, every ceiling and floor, every wall and door, every shingle and piece of trim.  I am grateful for the years spent there and the memories I take with me.  Thank you Longwood, for everything....  

7 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I know. I did the same. Walked through the house over and over.

Balisha said...

A bittersweet moment for you. Hope your daughter is happy in her new place. Take care, Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I have these same type of memories.
A new chapter opening for your daughter - and I know it will be good :)

Helen said...

Thanks for sharing a few Longwood memories through great photos. Your family's imprint will remain in the well crafted upgrades made to your home over the years. Commencement of a new chapter and more memories to collect!

Pienosole said...

I was moved as I read this "good-bye". Thank you for sharing. My best wishes to your daughter in her new place.

Anonymous said...

Lovely place. Thank you for taking us on your final tour.

Laura said...

just catching up… what a beautiful home… I can imagine the memories held in that good wood you so lovingly sanded.. all the footsteps, walking, running, stomping, tiptoeing… I hope your daughter will be very happy in her new place and that you will all experience new joys and build new memories wherever you are.