Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Packing Away Christmas

I finished taking down the tree today.  I put it up December 15, which is early for our house.  I wanted the house ready when family arrived the weekend before Christmas, and that meant weeks of clearing and cleaning and making ready to get the tree up by mid-December.

Today I finished packing away ornaments and rolling up strings of lights.  There weren't many other decorations this year.  We needed space for gathering and eating and sleeping and enjoying the baby.

For the first time in many years there was a baby in the house this holiday season.  What a joy it was!  Every day my grandson was a delight from the time he woke up until the time he went to bed.  His birthday was three days before Christmas, which added to the magic of his time here.  He played with toys that belonged to the generation before him and was delighted with all of his own gifts.  His love of helium-filled mylar balloons prompted all of us to cheer and clap.

This light of my life sat in the high chair while I worked in the kitchen, and we "chatted" and compared notes the entire time.  I showed him how to smell cinnamon and vanilla.  He snacked on Chex cereal while I made cookies and bits of bread when I made French toast.

My grandson and his parents left Sunday for another week in Boston.  They will be back for a brief time this coming weekend.  I don't know when I will see him after that.  I hear second-hand that there are changes afoot in his travel plans in the coming months, so I need to ask about plans and schedules.

So Christmas is packed away for another year.  Who knows what next year will look like.  I know that I am grateful for the time I had with family this year.

And tonight is the eve of a new year....

I have been preoccupied this week with a post written by Carolynn at A Glowing Ember about her choice of a word for 2014.  I wracked my brain but could not remember the word I chose for this year or, to be more precise, the word that chose me.  This afternoon I went into my archives to look and then I remembered.  The word stayed with me for months; I wrote about it in my journal and worked with it until it was literally worn out.  The word was "release."

It sounds harsh, but the word did its job.  By mid-year I had let go of just about everything.  I have heard over the years that life is easier if you "let go" but I have not found that to be true.  Nothing has been easy this year, not my relationships or my marriage or my job or my everyday life.  Not one thing has been easy....

Except my love for my grandson. That is easy and natural and true.

And that I will hold onto forever.

9 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am going to use your word
"release" also
thank you for this gift to me.
Understand all you share
and in 2015
we will vow
together
to release...

Balisha said...

Release sounds like the perfect word for 2015. Last year my word was simplify and for the most part I did.
Loved reading about your little grand child. Aren't they just the best?
Happy New Year,
Balisha

Helen said...

Oh how those "grands" grab our hearts and hang on! Time with your grandson is more precious than wealth or possessions. Here's hoping that travel plans will include many visits with his Maine grandparents this year.

Your word for 2015 will become apparent in due time. In the meanwhile, remember to be true to your heart, your intuition and your passion.

Enna said...

Please if possible blog more often. I check your page and am so pleased when we hear from you.

Deb said...

Your Christmas with your grandson sounds like it was so magical Sharon, what wonderful memories to cherish! Happy New Year to you and yours, I wish for you joy, good health and love. Remember this Christmas and the love you felt, that is all that matters in this world in the end.

Anonymous said...

I know we're not supposed to care and fret about things that are beyond our control, but that doesn't stop me. Best wishes for the new year, Sharon. May 2015 offer smoother sailing.

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like your word did what it came to do. They can be double edged swords, these Annual Words. I sincerely hope that 2015 is more gentle for you and that you enjoy more time with all your loved ones.
Blessings,
Carolynn

Jacqueline said...

Happy New Year! I love this word for the year idea. I am still pondering mine.

There are so many to consider but I want to get it right.

I too enjoy reading your post and hope that you write more this year. I need to do that too. I always wonder what holds me back. You seem to be able to release through your writing That is the gift of your blog. Release.

Jacqueline.
375writersbank.wordpress.com

cindy said...

Happy New Year Sharon, Loved the post, especially grand baby parts:) I had not heard of "Word for the Year" but love the idea. "release"is hard to do. It's also called "non-attachment" "letting go" "let it be" and "surrender" -- so many terms for this simple word that as you point out is anything but simple to accomplish. I am working on releasing some negative feelings, some sadness and bitterness, for the past several months.Sounds like we've been on a parallel journey. Peace to you! I think that's my word for 2015. Peace.