Friday, January 3, 2014

What's In A Word

Well, it's official.  We are buried in snow.  I don't actually know the definition of "buried in snow" but I can tell you that we are and there should be a definition that reflects our current situation.  And?  It's cold, as in we were hoping today that the mercury would reach zero.

We are okay.  I ordered oil but yesterday the oil truck driver decided that he couldn't make it up our driveway due to the ice crystal coating.  Our oil tank is half full so we should be okay until next week when they will try again.  I turned the thermostats down to 62 which, when it's below zero outside, feels comfortable.  My hope is that this weather is not indicative of what we can expect for the next three months.

In thinking about the coming year I have followed with interest Carolynn's process in choosing a word for 2014.  Some years I choose a word and some years a word chooses me.  I waited and waited for a word to come to me for 2013 but it didn't happen; it's not something that can be forced.

This year was different.  After I read Carolynn's first post on the topic, a word started following me around.  I would think about how to handle a situation and this word would show up.  It fit.  I didn't want it to be my word ~ it wasn't positive or encouraging, even though it was good advice.  I needed a nicer way to say "detach."

I turned to my Angel Cards to see if another word fit the bill for 2014.  When I turned over one of the cards, I knew immediately that it was my word for the year, a word that is productive and promising when paired with the right intention.  This word has the potential for freedom from anxiety and worry, from obsessing over expectations, from trying to control outcomes, from holding onto things that I have no business holding onto.

My word for 2014 is "release."  I have tried it out and it works.

Sometimes I need a reminder to let go ~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a word! I love how you came to it - I'm waiting for the right word to reach out and poke me. Here's to 2014! ox -knm

Cindy La Ferle said...

I've been thinking of you with all this wild weather. Glad you're OK, but still, what a winter! Now you've got me intrigued about this "word" business, so I will have to go over the link you've suggested to find out more. Happy New Year, stay warm!

Elenka said...

Found you through a dear blogger, Balisha. Just spent about 15 minutes going through your posts. As a fellow Mainer, I found them quite interesting.
I took quite a lot of time off from my blog as I found out the Blogger only lets you have a certain amount of photos, blah, blah, blah. So finally after making some changes I am back.
So here we are…..sharing the weather.
Fun, huh?

teri said...

Release- I may blend your word to mine- safety.Release to safety. Happy new year dear Sharon!