Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Words

I love words.  The best part of my current job is that I talk with students about words, what they mean and how they are used, how they work together and how we use them to convey what we mean.

My love of words makes it all the more frustrating that I can't figure out how to put the right words together to write about what has happened.  There are too many feelings and too many things I can't say because it's not just about me.  I have my perspective and others have their perspective, and there are few specifics I can share that don't make it sound like I am pleading my case, which is the last thing I want to do.

I can say that the work I've done over the last several years has helped me stay present in emotional situations, able to keep the focus on myself and stay calm while I speak from my heart.  I have no regrets.

There is a plaque hanging next to my kitchen door that reads "Be wise, be kind, be true."  I have done the best I know how to do with the people I care about most.  I have been as kind as I can be, as helpful as I know how.  I have been true to my values, careful not to carry tales or put people in the middle of situations that are not of their making.

In the end I need to accept that people are who they tell me they are, that they feel the way they say they do.  I need to let go of the desire to be heard.  I can't make people like me or want to spend time with me. 

It hurts.  Time helps.

The journey continues....

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This one understands what you share and she is much further
down the road of life then you.
Take care...

cauchy09 said...

Feeling voiceless can be torture. I hope whatever you're dealing with resolves peacefully and respectfully. xo

ellen abbott said...

it can be tough. I've been in a situation where I felt unfairly judged and shunned by the people who I thought were friends when each and every one of them had moral failings of their own. It was a misery trying to understand but eventually I had to let go of the hurt and focus on the people who had stood by me. it's a better road not to get involved in emotional exchanges trying to convince someone of your innocence (?). Better to just calmly say your price. they either accept it or don't but no amount of argument will make them accept it if they are unwilling.

Deb said...

I'm sorry you are having to go through these troubles Sharon. In the end, the only thing we have any control over is ourselves and how we deal with the emotions that these situations engender. Wishing you peace and comfort.

RURAL said...

Life throws these things at us, and hopefully good words, and time will help in the perspective, and resolution.

My heart goes out to you.

Jen