Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Connecting The Colors

Thirteen years ago I knew I wanted a yellow kitchen with blue accents.  It was the only combination that felt right.  When we moved to our current house, I duplicated the wall color and added even more blue~
The windowsill above the kitchen sink
This past weekend those colors were front and center in my second color palette, along with splashes of different shades of purple~
Yellow & blue tables side by side make me smile
A year ago orange started showing up in my wardrobe and decorating choices.  I hadn't paired it with aqua but that combo, with splashes of green, is the basis of my primary palette~
The bottom left corner says it all
So I shouldn't have been surprised when I surveyed my fabric choices on Friday as I thought about what I wanted to sew with on Saturday.  I had grabbed the prints that most appealed to me for a project, along with pieces I had that most closely resembled solids.  Turns out I don't stash solids but buy them as needed.  On Saturday we shopped at a locally owned fabric store before we began sewing with quilter Heather Jones.  The only fabric I bought that morning that wound up in my squares was dark orange~
"Coins" on the left; "Log Cabin" on the right
Upon reflection, I saw that all the fabric I used from home was given to me by my daughter.  She often cleans out her stash so I have lots and lots of her "seconds" on hand.  It turned out that what looked like random selections went together beautifully, a point brought to my attention through my primary palette~
The paint chips hone in on what colors stand out
Yesterday I re-oriented the room where I sew.  Eight years ago the room was primarily a guest room where I used my sewing machine.  Three years ago I started calling it my sewing room.  This week I ordered a new table and have plans for a design wall.  Yes, the room will still be a nice space for guests, but primarily the room will be my studio.  I didn't know I wanted such a space until the weekend with color.  Now I know....

6 comments:

ellen abbott said...

everyone needs studio space!

Deb said...

What an amazing journey Sharon and how wonderful that it brought you back to your own creative space where you can let the colours of your life unfold!

Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful eye.

Wisewebwoman said...

Boy my craft room is a total disaster and you've inspired me to do something about that. I can't find anything in it.

Love your palettes, I just did my living room in pale aqua and upstairs in yellow and aqua. So there you go :)

XO
WWW

Carolynn Anctil said...

That's so bright and cheerful! It's lovely. Isn't it interesting how things unfold without our even realizing it until we look back and see all that has transpired?

cindy said...

Every artist needs a room of her own. I'm so happy you've claimed yours!