Saturday, August 22, 2015

August Transition

The first few years I taught I looked forward to and dreaded summer in equal parts.  I looked forward to unscheduled days with my kids, warm sunny weather, time to do the things I enjoyed, and the chance to catch up on all the appointments and home maintenance I didn't have time for during the school year.  I would hit the ground running the day after school ended and go full tilt until the day school started up again.  I wore myself out and never felt like I got everything done.

At some point I figured out that I couldn't save all the fun stuff or all the chores for the time between school years.  I was curious to see if I could remember to live that lesson this summer.

It helped that Ken and I left on vacation just two days after school ended in June.  The trip was literally a "break" in my routine and took us to places we hadn't been before.

It was a summer for a variety of firsts.  Ken and I bought season tickets to the Maine State Music Theater, a slate of four performances at the theater on Bowdoin College Campus.  The musicals this summer were The Full Monty, Sister Act, The Music Man, and Young Frankenstein.  We enjoyed each one and the fun story lines were especially appreciated.

The two quilting retreats were another first for me.  Each experience took me out of my comfort zone and gave me the opportunity to stretch.  It was fun to learn new techniques, meet quilters and designers whose work I admire, and work beside women I wouldn't have met otherwise.

The retreats gave me something else too ~ the joy I feel when I create and sew.  I had forgotten that just twenty minutes of sewing gives me a chance to change gears and recharge.  Even working at twenty-minute intervals projects move forward, and during the time in between I'm thinking about and planning what comes next. 

I haven't rushed to finish anything this summer.  Like quilting, life is a work in progress.
Slow Stitching block for Color Quilt

Block in Completely Cauchy style

"Roberta" block for Color Quilt

7 comments:

cauchy09 said...

wow, i love love love these blocks! and i love your approach to this summer. seems like it was a success. now...onward!

Deb said...

Gorgeous quilt blocks Sharon and hope that your 'new' summer routine will leave you rested and recharged for the new school year.

ellen abbott said...

it is good to experience new things. that quilt is going to be gorgeous when you do finish it.

Kristen said...

I love them! I also love that you'll have the quilt as a tangible reminder of the summer and that you'll see the progression whenever you look at it!

Kristen said...

I love them! I also love that you'll have the quilt as a tangible reminder of the summer and that you'll see the progression whenever you look at it!

Anonymous said...

Has your school year already started, or is that California just opens early. Doesn't seem fair to lose half of August. Your quilt is beautiful.

cindy said...

Your quilts are beautiful, in this post and the others on quilting. I love your use of color and have to say blue and yellow are a favorite color combo of mine. And are deep corals. These are simply lovely in design and color.