Thursday, August 13, 2015

Slow Stitching Retreat

The Slow Stitching Retreat, made possible by Samantha Lindgren of A Gathering of Stitches, happened this past weekend in Washington, Maine.  The setting was a picturesque camp, complete with cabins, lodge, fire circle, and paths through the woods.  We were privileged to spend the weekend with Chawne, groundbreaking quilter of Completely Cauchy, and Carolyn Friedlander, talented designer of fabric and patterns.  We learned techniques together, had meals together, and enjoyed the slow pace and slow stitching together.  The weekend was made all the better for me because my daughter was able to attend, too.  She and I rarely have time to sew together, so we made the most of the opportunity. 

The porch of the lodge, perfect for rocking and slow stitching
The barn, where we asked "How small can we go?"
Lots of room to work in the barn
My small log cabins made of Shot Cotton, 2.25" square unfinished
Work space, with good light in the lodge, to cut applique
Basting stitches in red, applique stitches in off white
Appliqued halfway around the outside edge
Finished "Roberta," at 15" square my smallest quilt yet
Again, I came home from a quilting retreat with a new perspective. 

It never occurred to me that I could get so much satisfaction in going smaller in my quilting; I am using techniques I learned this weekend in my work started at the July retreat.  I will share that project in my next post. 

I have always shied away from applique because I didn't know where to begin, much less how to get a pleasing finished look; now I know where to begin and with each stitch I am more satisfied with my technique.

I have been sewing since I was a little girl.  In learning as I go I didn't learn the secret to how to thread a needle, which Night Quilter explains here, or any of the various tips I've picked up while working with other sewers.  It's fun to share stories and ideas and shortcuts.  It's fun to ask, "How small can you go?" and watch quilters finish complete blocks that are smaller than 3" square.  I'm sewing the skinniest strips I never imagined because I picked up hints on how to do that this weekend.

I realized months ago that this summer was going to be different from what I envisioned.  When Chawne mentioned this Slow Stitching Retreat on her blog, I followed the link.  My daughter was able to go, so we made plans.  Return visits to Samantha's blog turned up the Quilters Color Weekend.  I am grateful for the timing of these retreats and for the opportunity to work with the teachers and quilters I have had the pleasure to meet. 

Sometimes change needs a push....

4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

It is fun to gather with others to learn.

Helen said...

What a great couple of months you've had for expanding your skills and exploring ideas you never imagined. The colors in the 15" quilt are wonderfully cheerful. Should brighten any location in your home. Appliqué... hmm. Will have to chat with you about that sometime.

Deb said...

What a wonderful way to learn new techniques, meet new friends and also to get some time with your daughter while doing something you love, doesn't get much better than that!

cauchy09 said...

It still feels like it was a magical weekend. And I'm so happy to have gotten to spend more time with you and K. You're awesome!