Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Trade-Offs

I go back to work tomorrow....  I had a different plan.  I was going to teach reading last year and then get a job as a classroom teacher.  I applied for jobs and did get one interview, where the principal was encouraging but didn't offer me the position.  I will continue to apply for classroom positions, but the clock has run out and for now I need to return to the job I had last year.

Some things have changed.  There will be no lunch recess duty for anyone because there will be no formal mid-day recess, which is a good thing.  Classroom teachers will be responsible for taking their own students out for recess during the course of the day.  I like that I will spend more time teaching.

Another thing that has changed is the location of the literacy classroom.  The room this year is half the size, a long narrow room with no windows and just one door at one end.  There is space for only one teacher so I will hit the road and work with students in their grade-level classrooms.  That's okay with me; I will enjoy being out and about throughout the day.

I very much wanted my own classroom this fall, but there are trade-offs that work to my advantage.  I haven't had to go into school yet because I don't have a classroom to set up or curriculum to align with standards or lesson plans to write.  I have squeezed every last moment out of summer vacation because there literally isn't anything for me to do to prepare for students.

During the school year I will have plenty time to dedicate to taking a graduate class or two.  My certification is up for renewal next summer and I still need continuing education units toward that.

Perhaps the best trade-off is that I will have the flexibility to be available when my daughter needs me in November.  She has given me the okay to share that she is pregnant.  She is an independent woman and capable of doing this on her own, so I am on deck to help how and when she asks.  It has been fun to be in on some of the preparations.  I do my best to maintain a calm exterior, but between you and me I am wicked excited!

Sometimes I make plans and the universe has a better idea....    

10 comments:

Helen said...

I am certain that you will make the best of your work situation and bloom where you have been planted for the start of the school year.

Baby news-- super exciting new chapter! Sending good wishes for the final months leading up to the blissful moment you welcome a new life into the family.

Kristen said...

The wicked just kills me - I am so glad to be able to share bits of this experience with you! I wish I had a better solution for the year, but none of my ideas really fit for your situation. I am keeping my fingers crossed and good thoughts for the days as they pass, going that something good shows up soon. OX

ellen abbott said...

oh sweet! being a grandmother is the best.

Deb said...

I'm a firm believer in that things happen for a reason and the reason that your classroom teaching job did not materialize this year is so you can be with your daughter when she needs you; what wonderful and exciting news Sharon! Congratulations to her and sending positive thoughts and energy for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery of that new bundle of joy. Wicked excitement indeed! Deb xo

elli said...

Oh what happy news! How wonderful. Actually, I think the sound of a couple of graduate courses sounds lovely too :-)

MsGraysea said...

I just love this news, and, how well things are falling in to place to allow you to welcome your grandchild into the world.....WOW....you are going to love it. Also having the time to work in your courses. So happy for you.

cindy said...

Sharon, congrats on the new grandchild! I'm so excited and happy for you. The universe traded up if you ask me. Though I am sorry you don't have your own classroom if that's what would make you happiest. Maybe this time next year...

Anonymous said...

All things considered, it sounds like this worked in your favor. And congratulations.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Exciting times ahead! The Universe has a way of looking out for us, even when we're unaware of it. I'm getting better at letting go and accepting what happens as being the best possible outcome, regardless and sometimes in spite of, my plans.

Thornton TV Repairs said...

Thanks for this blog ppost