Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Click On "Restart"

My computer was acting all wonky, slow to respond and having trouble with uploads. I ran updates and scans, which didn't help much. Then I clicked on "restart." All better now.

I realized I need to find my personal "restart" button.

My stomach has been in knots for weeks. I thought it was due to the nervous excitement of the wedding, yet there has been little relief in the weeks since.

Not that other things haven't come up. There have been problems with the car, which turned out to be fixable. Leo has now been to the vet twice and still is not feeling 100%. News from all family fronts is not sunshine and rainbows.

I ran through my usual repertoire of strategies when life gets wonky, but they didn't help much.

Time to click on "restart."

This week I started walking on the treadmill again. I have made the commitment to get on the treadmill every day. Every. Single. Day.

I have signed up for Jan Lundy's "Buddha Chick"online class. It starts the end of this month and will include conference calls, podcasts, and homework. I have made the commitment to do every assignment, even the ones that make me feel uncomfortable. Every. Single. Assignment.

This morning I registered for a new offering through the local adult education program, a 40-hour certificate course in Microsoft Office Skills. With this course I will enhance my knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook. I will have class two nights a week starting in October. I have made the commitment to practice with these programs until I can easily use each one. I. Will. Practice.

This week I have an appointment for massage therapy. Next week is acupuncture. The following week I have an appointment for osteopathic treatment, my first one in more than five years. Something is out of whack and needs attention.

I feel out of sync with the life I want. I can't continue to go through the motions and hope that it becomes real. That is not working.

Restart. Click.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who swears by eating potatoes to calm herself!Also, high quality cod liver oil and b-complex help. I like your metaphor!
Now for the cat:
What exactly is Leo doing that is worrisome? Is he losing weight? Not eating? Not peeing?

Joanne said...

I'm glad I clicked Restart and am getting back to blogging! I'm glad you'll be walking. Walking is such a cure-all for me, physically, spiritually, emotionally. When we spent time at the beach this summer, my daughter and I spent alot of time doing water-walks in the sea. Walking doesn't get much better than that.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I have gone through times like you are experiencing. It is constant - mindfulness, yoga, metta, prayer, walking - just doing everything I know and usually it works.
I keep saying I will go for a massage of something personal for me. Just no time and I relax by gardening and walking. Get plenty of rest..thinking of you with healing thoughts.

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like you have a great plan in place. Sometimes, just getting up & moving is all it takes. A change in routine, however small can bring dramatic results. Growing is always good.

I do hope Leo gets back on track soon! I wonder if he's picking up on your energy a little bit? My girl, Celine, really mirrors our moods with her behaviour.

teri said...

I had a feeling you might be unsettled or adrift. Your list of new endeavors and personal care time look promising. Maybe the class with Jan will expose the underlying current in such a way that you will finally be able to to set it free or transform its energy from draining to energizing. I am waiting with anticipation for updates about that! In a parallel universe (again) I will be taking 4 day class working towards clarity through understanding energy. ANYWAY I am babbling again- THANKS for commenting at my place and I would love to catch up with you in Salem - it is only 30 minutes away!!!

CaShThoMa said...

The analogy to the computer "restart" is perfect. I've periodically said out loud that "I want to shut it down and boot it up again" when talking about my life. Sounds like you've made some commitments to improve your life. You GO!!! Sending good vibes your way. Hope you will chronicle the journey.

helen said...

Can't go wrong with health and personal growth goals. Wishing you a productive and gratifying Fall!

Laura said...

Sharon,
The good news about "re-start" is that we can do it at any time...AND we can click that inner button over and over again whenever we feel stuck! So if we find we don't follow through with every new commitment, no worries. We simply start again the next day, the next breath. It is meditation in motion no? Returning to the beginning again and again with gentleness, with metta.

I'm so happy to read that you will be joining in on the BuddhaChick journey!!!!

Cindy said...

I am in awe of your goals. If I could do just one of those things, I'd be so happy. I'm actually reading a book right now called "Happier" by a guy who gives a happiness class at Harvard. Like you, I need a restart and am seeing to my physial, mental, and emotional health this month. I bet we'll both be feeling better come October.

Jen said...

Exercising does something to your brain...it will do you a world of good. You should get outside and do your walking, too. People are solar-powered and a few UV rays lift your spirit. (Just a few...don't overdo it.)

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I like your metaphor of hitting the Restart button. For about 10 years, that's what I try to do every Sunday -- I hit the reset button for the week.

I've also heard about the benefits of walking backwards. I've done that occasionally and it seems to help me!