Sunday, September 26, 2010

Common Ground Country Fair

Today we went to the fair, the Common Ground Country Fair. This is a yearly event of the Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association on 40 acres of land in Thorndike, Maine. We parked our car in a field and hitched a ride on a tractor to the fair grounds

where a market offers the products of farmers' labor ~

and gardens remind us where our food comes from ~

There are more animals, demonstrations, crafts, edible delights, and performances to see than signs possible to point you in the right direction ~

Ken chatted with a well-known Maine humorist in front of our favorite coffee stand ~

There were musicians ~

and spinners ~

and dogs herding sheep ~

as well as solar panels, wind turbines, and timber frame houses ~

in celebration of autumn's harvest ~

and the last splash of summer's colorful splendor ~

at the Common Ground Country Fair ~

9 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow, you've gone from spinners and sheep herding to solar panels and wind turbines ... A true slice of Americana going on up north there :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Looks like you had an enjoyable day. By the looks of the jackets I would say it is cooler there then by my cottage in the woods.
In the 50's this morning but will be in the high 70's all week.
Have a good week.

Laura said...

reminds me of the county fair we visited in Ohio with the kids this summer...so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like my kind of day! Good morning to you and Ken!

mermaid said...

I really enjoy your picture stories. I often read to my daughter, and I feel like someone has written a story for me to read!

Thank you.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

OH, what fun, Sharon. I am delighting in the sights you've shared!

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Thanks for the beautiful photo essay. What a wonderful community activity!

Cindy said...

You live in a wonderful area. I think I might have mentioned that once or twice;-)

Cindy L said...

To say that I am envious would really be an understatement. But let me add that I really appreciated the nostalgia of being able to see these photos of the fair, and live vicariously through your sharing! Thank you, happy autumn!