Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Eat Cake

I had coconut cake for breakfast. Yes I did, and it was delicious. Carolynn asked in a post last week if we would share our "guilty pleasure." Coconut cake immediately came to mind, and then I couldn't stop thinking about it. I bought one on Friday and enjoyed a small slice each day until today when I cut up what remained [three quarters of the cake after sharing with others] and froze eleven pieces to enjoy in the future. That left the odd-shaped piece that just had to be consumed on the spot with a cup of coffee. Mmmmmm...

That coconut cake has been my answer to trying to fit the square peg in the round hole. In other words, if all else fails eat cake. As hard as I have tried to remain mindful, in the hopes that that would spread good karma, many things have not gone smoothly in recent days.

I am on a town committee that has invited our two state legislators to speak to townspeople this Wednesday evening. It has been a comedy of errors from the beginning ~ from the state senator not confirming with us that he will attend and his name still going out on flyers about the event, to people within our own group not keeping track of changes in each other's email addresses which means important communications are lost in cyberspace.

So eat cake.

I have McAfee anti-virus on my desktop computer. For some reason McAfee periodically eliminates my Google toolbar, where I keep "bookmarks" that are my vehicle to get to all the sites I regularly visit. Last time this happened I made a phone call to McAfee and they walked me through a process to reinstall my Google toolbar, all the while making sure I understood that it wasn't McAfee's fault. I could go through that again but there is no certainty that the toolbar won't disappear again; my daughter says McAfee sees Google as a threat, probably because it doesn't own stock in the big G. McAfee doesn't seem to care about the list of bookmarks that show up on my iGoogle homepage, so I can get to the sites one at a time, I just can't move from one to the other without going back to my homepage.

So eat cake.

The job I applied for two weeks ago has been re-advertised. That means they have not gotten the type of applicants they were looking for.

So eat cake. Then climb on the treadmill and walk it off.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Sharon...sometimes eating cake IS the best choice. And you know, you could re-apply and tailor your resume to the new ad...that would at the very least show them that you are creative, and determined and dedicated to their vision...and then maybe tomorrow, you could have another slice of cake from the freezer to celebrate, eating each bite with awareness and delight in the flavor.

Just a thought:-)

Anne said...

Pumpkin Pie is my very favorite breakfast. And, seriously, a piece of cake is probably better for you than a lot of packaged donuts... And coconuts are great for you! :)

Anonymous said...

LauraX makes some good points. Keep the faith, Sharon, and enjoy the cake!

CaShThoMa said...

EAT CAKE.
So good. So good.

mermaid said...

I laughed and laughed after this post. Some of your paragraphs are so matter of fact, and when you end them with, 'so eat cake', I can't help but crack up.

Somtimes I'm so damn serious about everything, but life really is funny. Thank you so much for getting me to laugh this morning:)))

My version of coconut cake is a Starbuck's hot chocolate, or 70% dark chocolate at home!

Still, I do hope things run a bit more smotthly for you, and if not, you've got plenty of coconut cake in the freezer and readers who love and laugh with you.

teri said...

Mermaid is right - I laughed after each directive to "eat cake." What is really funny is this morning after yoga I went into the grocery store for trash bags and came out with a small cheese cake. I am now enjoying the sugar buzz as I type. And maybe when I am done here I will curl up and take a nap. Wishing you lots of things that just fall into place... xo

Cynthia said...

Cake is always good. Also coconut. And a sense of humor when politics is involved;-)

Helen said...

After our life events in the past year we have adopted a similar motto -- Life is short, so eat dessert first. (or make it a meal)

I'm in agreement with LauraX: creatively revise your resume and resubmit!

Go with the flow my friend ... and eat cake.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I love breaking the rules and Kudos to you for putting some of the cake in the freezer! That's brilliant and something I wouldn't have thought of doing.

So sorry to hear life hasn't been running smoothly for you lately. This is just a little dip, and things will pick up again soon. Keep your spirits up and, if all else fails, eat some more cake. *grin*