Wednesday, September 14, 2011

His Bags Are Packed

Eighteen days ago when my son T moved home from Boston I was grateful we would have some time together before he left for Seattle.

It has been a better visit than I could have imagined.

We made trips to renew his driver's license, to buy clothes and luggage suitable for a grad student, and to take care of all those things he needed to take care of. Last night we went out to dinner so we could watch the Patriots' first game of the season.

T went to the dentist, caught up with friends, and attended an ex-girlfriend's wedding.

He has sorted through everything he owns. He has cleaned out, organized, donated, and made decisions about what to store and what to take with him....

And tonight he packed his bags.

Wednesday afternoon he will get on a bus in Portland for Boston, where he will spend the night with friends. Thursday morning he will get on a plane at Logan Airport for Seattle.

He will be home at Christmas. We will make a trip out there next spring.

It's not for ever, but it is for at least a year.

And I miss him already.

7 comments:

Marie said...

Sighs and hugs being sent your way.

Joanne said...

What a bittersweet time for you, Sharon. Life just tugs at our hearts sometimes, doesn't it ...

teri said...

With a catch in my throat... I feel for you. Sending hugs and remember to feel as deeply as you need to. I bet most of us here are all too familiar with this letting go. (More like a tearing away- even though it is as it is supposed to be.) If possible I find going away really helps. xo teri

Laura said...

My heart aches for yours Sharon...so much in life is about letting go, trusting that all will be well, the mixture of bitter and sweet as our children grow.

mermaid said...

I feel like this is a special tale of a mother who helped her little and not so little one take care of everything, including the part about endless motherly love and a door always open for him to come home to.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I understand
it sounded like my son
Only differance
he is far over the ocean
and I will see him
next Spring.
Oh, how I miss him.
But I always remember
we
give our children
roots and wings....

Laura said...

Sharon, thank you for the Anne Lamott quote...I loved that!!!