Thursday, September 1, 2011

Power: On

Late yesterday afternoon we were making plans for dinner at our favorite diner when there was a knock at the door. It was our next-door neighbor who wanted us to know that power had been restored. His wife had called him at work, and on his way home he heard our generator still running. It was doubly nice to talk to him because he shared that they have a new baby at their house.

On our way to dinner we checked out the status of the telephone pole, which hadn't been replaced after all. The power company sawed off the splintered top and extended the pole with an insulated pin. Good as new.

I got home from dinner just in time to host a monthly neighborhood meeting in a quiet living room fully lit, thankfully, by electricity. It turns out the store-bought cookies were just as good as my usually homemade ones.

This morning it was time to tackle the laundry that has accumulated, along with all that my son brought home with him. There will be time to vacuum and get organized. It doesn't feel so much like a chore now that I have the luxury of turning all the appliances on.

Homemade spaghetti is going to taste good tonight.

8 comments:

Laura said...

everything shifts after "doing without" our typical conveniences...so much we take for granted. glad you can enjoy the gifts of life with electricity again Sharon:-)

teri said...

I thought of you while you were unplugged and being regenerated. Oh dear that was silly. I do hope this was a special time for you are your son. Sorry he is moving so far away. Seattle- wow! I guess you will be doing some traveling out west this coming year. xo teri

Things that make me happy said...

I love hosting neighborhood meetings in my home, don't you? It's a nice way to catch up with people we haven't seen in a while. I join Teri in her comments about your son. Wow -- that's a trek, but a new place to visit, right? Happy Labor Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hoooorayyyy! For the power that is.. I know you will miss your son.

cindy said...

So glad you finally got your power back. I have a son who lives in Seattle too. We've never been, but are going at the end of the month. We're also visiting his brother, our other son, in Ventura, California. At least now they live somewhat closer to each other. And I wish I lived in Oregon:)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Electricity is wonderful...
when we do not have it - we arealize what a blessing it is.
:)

mermaid said...

I often take electricity for granted. Sounds like you missed it and welcomed it back like a long lost friend:)

Joanne said...

Hi Sharon, I'm glad your electricity is up and running again, and thanks for checking in at my blog. CT did take a beating from Irene, mostly on the shoreline and in the eastern part of the state. We had just left the beach, ending our vacation the day before Irene struck. Even at our home, inland, we were without power for 4 days, and there are still homes without electricity. What's amazing is that the storm was only a tropical storm when it hit, not even at hurricane strength. Daily routine never looks as good as it does when power is restored!

I hope you're having a good summer, I'll be back on the blogs soon.