Friday, September 16, 2011

One More Year

I have two sets of lottery numbers that I play. One set is based on family birthdates, so those never change. The other set is based on ages, so those change as birthdays roll around. The Powerball number is the number of years that I have been married.

Today I added one to that number because our anniversary is tomorrow.

Thirty-four years.

Last year I posted photos of the lobster dinner we ate to celebrate. This year we are returning to New Harbor with friends for what I am sure will be another delicious meal.

I recently commented on someone's post that it is a challenge to be married to the same person for 34 years. Each of us has changed so much that we are not the same people we were all those years ago. So much has happened in our lives that we are nowhere near where we were when we started our life together.

I don't have the romantic view of marriage that some people have. I said to one of my children not long ago that I don't believe in the concept of soulmates, the idea that there is one right match for each individual. When Ken and I met, we had each just ended a relationship. I have no doubt that we would have each found someone else if we hadn't found each other.

We did find each other. After a few months we made the decision to be together, and we married two and a half years after we met. Ken and I had time to really get to know each other. We couldn't see the future, but we had a good idea what life together would be like before we said "I do." I used to say that we got the "dreaded first two years" out of the way before we got married.

Even after all that, there have been a fair number of ups and downs through the years. There have been times when I wasn't sure we would make it to the next anniversary. Then something shifts and we adapt and the course runs smooth for a time. I think that's true of any relationship that lasts as long as ours has.

So here's to making it one more year. Maybe 34 will be a lucky number ~

4 comments:

Helen said...

"Love doesn’t make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

~ Elizabeth Browning

Wishing you continued love and friendship in the years ahead and many more happy anniversaries.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Congratulation and may blessings continue for you and your Ken
in the coming years...

mermaid said...

I'll have to agree on the soul mate thing. I think we pick someone who we thing we just might make it with, all the while knowing it could end if one of us gets too tired of trying.

It's why I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8cfbBgXIow

Here's to 34 years of never getting too tired to try.

teri said...

How I missed this post I will never know. BUT I am here now and wishing you and Ken a happy anniversary week. As for the soul mate stuff I think we all watch too many movies- we end up believing our lives look like someone else's. I wonder if our great grandmothers worried about such things. Here's to being supportive and caring to everyone in our lives as much as possible.