Thursday, October 27, 2011

Acorn Squash And Sausage

This is a recipe that has evolved over many years. A friend shared it with me, and I have made changes so that by the time the casserole gets to the table all I have to do is eat and enjoy. The amount made here is enough for two because that's how many I usually cook for now. I use an 8 x 10 pan that is the perfect size ~

Acorn Squash and Sausage Casserole

1 medium sized acorn squash
a pound or so of ground sausage, spicy or sweet
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of bread crumbs [I use dry stuffing mix]

Cut the squash in half, clean out the seeds, but leave the skin on. Make each half wet and turn upside down, with skin up, on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until squash is tender, about 45 minutes. While squash is baking, brown sausage and onion in a skillet. Once squash is cooked, remove from oven, peel, slice and place in single layer in greased casserole. Mix bread crumbs into sausage and spread over squash. Bake at 350 until hot through and nicely browned, about 30 minutes.

I haven't tried this with other kinds of squash because I like acorn, but it would probably work with your favorite. The recipe works with any kind of sausage, although if it's a mild flavor I do spice it up with basil and oregano.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

What a great dish for this time of year, it's got that winter feel to it. Speaking of which, we're expecting 6 inches of snow tomorrow! I'm not sure if it's headed north to you ...

cindy said...

Sounds yummy. And they do have meatless/vegetarian "italian sausage" now.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

So good - I am copying - thank you.

Marie said...

I am thinking if you leave out the onion and add cilantro (just for you, Kristen)....

mermaid said...

You and Ernestine must be on the same wavelength. When can I come over to try?:)

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Good morning Owl in Maine, I am so happy to have found you (and your recipe) on Ernestine's blog. Great and simple recipe, which is what I need.

I am a Maine lover and live there half (or I try to) of every year. We are on Rutherford Island down the peninsula from Damariscotta.

Sending thanks and autumn wishes,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green island

teri said...

Now I think I could make this! Thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

Tried the recipe tonight -- yum! In addition to onions I added some diced roasted green chilis (in deference to my growing southwest roots). Also put some shredded cheese on top because -- in my world -- cheese adds flare to most any dish.

Thanks for sharing!