Thursday, October 20, 2011

Self Indulgence

Three nights last week I made delicious dinners: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fresh kale, and warm homemade applesauce on Wednesday; quesadillas, Spanish rice, and kale salad on Thursday; and baked acorn squash with sausage and breadcrumbs on Friday. I was on a roll.

Then we had leftovers all weekend. Saturday I made oatmeal cookies.

I still had enough tidbits this week to keep me fed and happy while Ken was out of town.

Tonight I made vegetable bean soup, with pinto beans left over from the quesadillas [a recipe that is so good I will share it when I get the cookbook, a computer, and my glasses in the same room], kale salad, and apple muffins [another new recipe that is wonderful].

There was a shift from the dread of having to make dinner to thinking about what might taste good for dinner. The only expectations were the ones I put on myself...

and I carried that thinking right into the first three days this week. I don't have a cold or the flu. I haven't just had surgery. In fact I'm in excellent health. That doesn't mean that I can't take a few days off once in a while.

I spent three days without one "should."

It was heaven.

I spent one whole day in my quiet house with nothing on my agenda other than reading Julia's blog from the beginning. I started reading her sometime last year because my daughter kept sharing funny vignettes about Julia's kids. I'd been curious about her story and decided to take time to read it, and I'm glad I did. Julia persevered. She said it might not make sense to others that she wasn't giving up, but that was okay. Though our situations are in no way alike, I totally understand her unwillingness to let go of her heart's desire.

That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to take a break once in a while.

Other things I did this week included eating Twizzlers, going to the movies with my daughter, hanging quilts on the clothesline for that fresh air smell, enjoying Netflix offerings that I know don't interest Ken, and taking long baths.

I feel refreshed. The laundry got done today and the car will get inspected tomorrow.

The world goes on whether I'm paying attention or not.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

If you get a chance, post the baked acorn squash with sausage and breadcrumbs recipe too. That one looks divine ... Happy Friday to you :)

Helen said...

It's important to take a break occasionally to refresh. And 3 indulgent "me-time" days -- wow!

Reminded me of a poem I received this week:

Slow Dance
David L Weatherford

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round,
or listened to rain slapping the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight,
or gazed at the sun fading into the night?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly,
when you ask "How are you?", do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed,
with the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Ever told your child, we'll do it tomorrow,
and in your haste, not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch, let a friendship die,
'cause you never had time to call and say hi?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,
you miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry through your day,
it's like an unopened gift thrown away.

Life isn't a race, so take it slower,
hear the music before your song is over.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

What a wonderful
and uplifting post.
Your recipes different
from mine
Share them...
The butternut squash sounds so good.

Carolynn Anctil said...

This is a MUST every once in a while. Seriously good for the soul.

Things that make me happy said...

How I envy the place where you are now, Sharon! You've got a wonderful attitude and it glows in this post. Funny thing, I've been thinking that I'd like to spend more time in the kitchen, too, especially since my mother's care has clipped my wings lately. I'm always saying I wish I had more time to cook special dishes, or to go through my cookbooks for some wonderful new recipes. The time is now. Thanks for the inspiration!

teri said...

I have been wondering what you were up to... I did not realize how long I have been away from blogging! Here you are taking 3 days - to be - I am thrilled. I like your your next post too!! xo teri

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

I love the idea of not having any "shoulds" tapping me on the shoulder. Sounds like a terrific week you had.