Saturday, March 3, 2012

The First Week

It was quite a week.

Monday evening I thought I might write a post about my first day: tour of the school, brief hello to teachers and students, conversations with the principal, time to plan lessons for the first week, and my optimism about what was ahead. Then I thought I would wait until I had a day of classes.

That was a good idea because halfway through my first class on Tuesday I had scrapped my lesson plans due to classroom dynamics; at the end of class two students confessed to me that they had been going by each other's name for the entire class and started to tell me there were two other students... which is when I reminded them that we are each responsible for our own behavior. [The other two students pretended the next day that nothing had happened, which didn't really work when they sat in each other's seat according to the seating chart now in place. Those two are unaware that they will be having lunch with me on Monday.]

Things really fell to pieces third period. I did something I have never had to do ~ I called the vice principal to remove from my class two students whose behavior was out of control. I knew then that I had work to do.

Wednesday was a new day. One of my colleagues told me she talked to the students of mine she had in her classes about their behavior. Word had gotten out about Tuesday's incidents, and I started each class by asking students how they want to be known in school and in the community. It is up to them.

Mid-morning I had a meeting with the vice principal about strategies for the most challenging behaviors. In the afternoon I let two students know that I would be calling home at the end of the day, and I hoped that I would be able to share that we'd had a good class. We did, thankfully.

I got a call early Thursday morning that there would be no school due to inclement weather. It snowed all day.

Friday was a day of computer presentations and workshops for students and teachers.

It was a typical week of school. I slipped right back into teacher mode.

Everything felt familiar. Schools have not changed in the last nine years.

What has changed is me. I have learned that I cannot change the world. I can only improve my little corner of it.

Monday will be a new day and another chance to do it all again.

9 comments:

annie said...

Ah, hazing the new teacher. It happens. You regroup. Part of the job. It will get better.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am so proud of you :)
Wishing you special wisdom to handle all that happens.
I think you are doing great....

Joanne said...

Sharon, I'm curious ... You mentioned that schools have not changed in the last 9 years. But do you think that students have changed in those years?

Also, my daughter has issues with cell phones in the classroom, and so I'm wondering if you're seeing that as well.

I'll give you an A for your first-week report. Looking forward to more insights from the classroom here!

Helen said...

Well, you can't say it wasn't an interesting week! Soon the students will realize that you are serious about helping them learn, that you are witty and wise and will make learning fun. First they have to "get" that you are in control and can handle whatever they bring to the classroom. Wishing you joy as you successfully tackle each opportunity that presents.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Whoa. Talk about jumping into the deep end. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the anarchy. Good for you for standing firm, taking charge and reminding them that it's their responsibility. You ARE an excellent teacher. *grin*

Marie said...

And, remember, you ARE the teacher, NOT the substitute. Again, these "cherubs" are so lucky to have you there for the rest of this year.

teri said...

I would love to be your teachers aid in your little corner of world. Children and young adults can be really challenging but once you connect there is sooo much potential. You are helping them create themselves- that is a gift. xoxo

cindy said...

Hi Sharon, Middle school, right? That's the only segment of students I have never taught, but friends who have tell me they are the worst behavior-wise. Even when I taught high school, I called parents, I brought in the principal, I refused to allow a student back into class after I woke him up and he said F*** you. His mother came and pleaded and I just said no. Sounds like our styles are similar. My least favorite aspect of teaching is discipline. And I think you started out the right way & things will be smoother now that they know they can't disrupt class.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, good on you for how you handled things. I especially like and agree with this:
...."I started each class by asking students how they want to be known in school and in the community. It is up to them."
You're amazing!