Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Sunday Effect

Three days before this year's Academy Awards Ken surprised me with the news that he had reserved a room for us for the Sunday night of the awards show. He was working on the elevators at a hotel and had asked the manager what kind of deal we could get on a room so that I could watch the Oscars [I have missed the big night the last two years because we no longer receive the signal for ABC].

I was surprised and delighted.

For just a moment I considered saying "no" because that Sunday night was the night before my first day of work. I would be up late and it would take me twice as long to get to the school.

Instead I said an enthusiastic "yes!"

I am so glad I did.

Not only did we have a nice dinner at a microbrewery, but we drank coffee and munched on cinnamon rolls while we enjoyed the entire televised presentation. Rarely have I taken the time to watch all the interviews on the red carpet. This year the gowns were beautiful and the commercials were superior quality. The show itself was a lot of fun, and the performance by Cirque du Soleil was a special treat. It was a perfect evening.

It also set the precedent for taking time to enjoy life on Sundays, even when life is busy.

The next Sunday Ken suggested we go the ocean. We walked and walked up and down our favorite beach.

This past Sunday I met a friend for a walk and talk along a scenic walking trail.

An unexpected by-product of keeping life real on the weekends has been the spill-over into the rest of the week. If it feels so good to have my time as my time on Sundays, how would it feel the other days?

It turns out it feels pretty good.

I am fortunate in that the school where I am currently working allows for planning time in each teacher's schedule. I have had a few false starts in using the time wisely, but I have been determined to make the schedule work to my advantage.

It has been worth the effort. After a day that included a field trip and a staff meeting, this evening I made a simple dinner, enjoyed catching up with blogs, took a leisurely bath, and had time to write this post.

There is life after going back to work. Thank goodness....

7 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

I haven't had cable in years and don't miss it one bit...except for the Oscars. That's the one show I really enjoy, for the pageantry of it. And, the sneak preview of movies I haven't seen yet. But, mostly the glamour. So old Hollywood. I haven't seen it in about two years either and now I'm really sorry I missed the Cirque performance, on top of it all. Rats~ Your Sundays sound absolutely lovely and what a great way to reconnect each week.

Joanne said...

I love those types of afternoons lingering at the beach. To me, they're perfection. What a nice post today, sounds like life is pretty good there :)

Helen said...

Finding balance -- good for you!

Laura said...

oh how wonderful!!!

mermaid said...

Sharon, it sounds like you are giving yourself space to enjoy life. That Ken is a keeper!

And thanks for the reminder that there is a precious life even in the midst of work!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful husband you have ... and it sounds like you have been finding a wonderful sense of balance along with your new work life. This is happy news!

teri said...

You have blossomed into making this ok. And wow - no double wow... for Ken's efforts. Good for you. You have made my night.( HOW do I keep missing your posts??? I have you on my blog feed and everything-sorry it took me so long to comment!Now I am onto your next post.)