Wednesday, March 28, 2012

One Month Down

Coffee tasted really good tonight.

I have thought of each evening this week as a retreat. Ken has been out of town, and I have brought home no work. Dinners have been simple and the only sounds in the house have been the ones I make. I have watched three movies, one each night; the only one worth mentioning is Buck, a documentary about Buck Brannaman, the real-life horse whisperer. I needed something uplifting and that movie fit the bill perfectly.

I am making progress with students at school. I have been able to assign classwork and projects that have brought up just about every student's grades [many were failing]. Most days are manageable, though there is at least one day a week that everything goes haywire and I just hang on until 2:15. There is no "down time" with students, not a minute that I can let down my guard or not be on my toes. There is no easy banter, though students seem to have more respect for me now that they know I'm staying and will work with them to be successful.

It is exhausting.

I am tired. I feel tired and I look tired and I act tired. I have been in bed each night by 10:30, which is really really early for me. I have been sleeping through until 5:30, which is really really early for me but it's when I need to wake up to have time to "wake up" before I leave the house at 6:30.

Last weekend I started lobbying, again, for a king-size bed. I've wanted one for many years, but there wasn't space in any room in the old house. So we bought a nice bed. We are on our second mattress and box spring, and I still like the bed, but I sleep so much better when I have personal space. Ken has always taken the suggestion personally, but it's not anything against him ~ it's that I need room to sleep. He conceded last weekend that if it's something I really want, I should start bed shopping. After three full nights' sleep this week, it's time to invest in a bigger bed. I have also noticed that I sleep better when we stay in a hotel with a king-size bed. It's time....

I woke up this morning to an inch of snow on the ground and my car. I considered putting it in the garage last evening, until I remembered that the motorcycle is now parked in my spot. Yes, we had weather warm enough for Ken to go for a ride already. Then temps dropped into the 20's and 30's. There was hail today on my drive home, and we may get more precipitation tonight.

One month down. Ten weeks to go....

It's time for bed.

7 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm glad to hear you've got a handle on your classroom. We had hail yesterday too - a Lot of it! So much so, that there was still some of it on the ground this morning when I went out.

I have been searching for Buck ever since I first heard about it (a year ago..?) I have been entirely unsuccessful in locating it on DVD and I'm so eager to watch it. *sigh* I remain ever optimistic that I will eventually locate a copy of it somewhere.

Carolynn

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This post made me smile...

teri said...

So you have managed to get the little urchins grades up? GOOD FOR YOU.

I think we are married to the same man. BUT we upgraded to a king size bed 5 years ago. We actually have a California King. They are a bit narrower and a bit (around 4 inches)longer. My husband is pretty tall so we needed the length.. I don't think I could done this menopause thing in a queen size bed. The funny thing is every once in a while he ends up nearly pushing me off the bed anyway. Good luck - and enjoy the week end. (wish we lived closer - we could have watched that movie together!)

cindy said...

Thanks for the update. I know how much teaching takes out of you so I appreciate you taking time to write the post. Ten weeks to go. That's a snap. And I think after all you've accomplished a king sized bed is the perfect sized reward!

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mermaid said...

I'm so glad you are inspiring the kids and staying. It sounds like you need rest and a king sized bed to hold a queen of your stature!

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I had read another blog in between this one and your announcement of the job...one that sounded a bit somber. But this blog sounds as if things are going a little better. It sounds as if you and the kids are adjusting to each other.