Friday, March 9, 2012

This Is Why

I started teaching eighteen years ago. Since then schools have not changed, administrators have not changed...

and students have not changed. Kids still respond well when they are treated with respect. They still need to know that they are not in charge and that there are consequences for their behavior. Kids want to know that there are adults who care about them and who are looking out for their best interests.

By Wednesday I had all three classes on an even keel and headed in the right direction. The two major disruptive behaviors in the afternoon class were removed from the classroom, which gave me the opportunity to set the tone and get to know the rest of the students.

That was the same day that the vice principal told me that I was who I portrayed myself to be during the interview. He sounded surprised.

After three good days, I was told today that the disruptive students will return to my classroom next week. I advised against this move because the students in the afternoon class are focused on a project and working well together. I asked for another week for students to work on their projects, which would also give me time to cement expectations and the good feelings that come with success.

It's not up to me. I am just the classroom teacher.

This is why I did not want to return to teaching.

I have been spending nine to ten hours at the school each day, not because I am being paid to do that but because that is what I needed to do to get a handle on the job, the classroom, and the curriculum.

And, like so many years ago, it makes no difference. I can wear myself out, but it doesn't matter. I wanted things to be different but they are not.

So I will go into school later, come home earlier, and take better care of myself. This is just a job.

I want it to be more, but it's not.

This is why I didn't want to go back to teaching.

8 comments:

annie said...

And that's why I haven't gone back to classroom teaching. It was just a job and one where mostly, I managed and maneuvered more than I taught.

Is there a way you can get one or two of these children put into another class period? That was always one of my tactics when all else looked like trench warfare. Just a suggestion.

Sadly, the only thing that is left in badly mixed classrooms is a totally retreat to individual seatwork, which is no fun to teach or not to stimulating for learning.

Hang in there.

Joanne said...

Oh Sharon, what a nightmare. I feel really bad for you. I understand why you took this job, even though it wasn't what you were seeking. I have a couple of questions for you:

If you could choose your job, any job, what exactly would you choose to do?

And, have you thought of going back to college? That has a way of opening up new ideas and paths too.

Keep us posted on your story ...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I understand and
this is a continued
learning experience
through this journey
called life...

Helen said...

In spite of not being the job you wanted, you accepted the challenge with an open mind. When you document student growth and see a spark of excitement, you will be reminded that you are not "just a teacher." You are an innovative educator in a long-term sub job; and there will be some young people in Maine who will benefit.

Wishing you well on this journey.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, that sounds so discouraging. You want whats best for your children and that's why you're such a good teacher. That said, I think that it's important that you take care of yourself. If you can do that and maintain your ideals at the same time, so much the better.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Freedom Writers" It's a very uplifting, inspiring true story of a teacher who worked with very difficult kids. It's an older movie, so you might be able to rent it.

Wishing you peace & calm.

Marie said...

You know how I feel. And, you know, even though it might not be the disruptive kids (or adults), that you are reaching kids. Think about it for a moment. For all the kids who put up with teachers putting up with this disruptive behavior and are never given a chance to say anything, you are their voice. You are the one who says, "It shouldn't be this way. What can WE do about it?" The majority of these kids have no voice, and, you are there, if even for a short time, to be their voice.

You make a difference. (And, for those of us who haven't left the classroom for the past 21 years, we know we want to make big changes, but are thankful on many days to just be the drop in the bucket.)

teri said...

I wish you well this coming week... may there be one child that brings you a moment of blessing. June will be here soon.

cindy said...

Sharon, I read this a while ago and have been thinking of you. The other commenters had good things to say about a sad situation. Individual seatwork, last resort. I did as Joanne said and went back to college at night for my M.A. so I could teach English in college. The age group and maturity levels raises a bit and you will have, from my experience, all the backing you need to permanently remove any student who is disruptive. Still it's no cake walk, but much more control.