Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Afterthoughts

I did the best I could in Friday's interview.  Now I wait to hear how they think I did. 

The women who met with me appeared to like each other and their jobs.  They laughed easily and gently asked a half dozen or so questions that took less than a half hour to answer.  I had as many questions for them about the daily schedule and how the position has worked in the past.

The position is not for a regular classroom teacher.  The person they decide to hire will work with students who need someone to help them learn how to moderate behavior so they can be successful in the classroom.  My first internal response was "me?"  Then as I thought about it and answered questions I realized that I have a lot of "tools" in my toolbag to work with students around the choices they make.  I am comfortable working with groups of students as well as students one-to-one.

I wonder what in my application made them want to talk to me.  How many people applied?  How many people did they interview?  When the Human Resource Manager called to set up the interview she asked if I was still interested in the position.  The interview was then set for almost two weeks later.  What happened in between that phone call and the conversation I had at the school Friday morning?

This weekend I rethought many of the answers I gave.  Too much information?  Not the answers they were looking for?  Did I appear nervous or overconfident?  Had they already decided one way or the other before I got there?  What did they think during the interview?

Anything is possible before an interview takes place.  Then it happens and the decision is out of my hands.  Now I wait.

No comments: