Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Three Dozen Years

Here I sit, drinking a delicious Malbec, La Finca from Trader Joe's.  I often buy wine based on the label and this one was appealing.  The wine is good enough to buy again, which is how I judge wine I buy for the first time:  will buy again or not?

I am waiting for paint to dry.  There is one wall in the kitchen that has been giving me fits for 6+ years.  There is an underlying problem with how the dry wall was finished that makes the surface appear scratchy in certain light.  We have plans to hang new artwork, so I patched and painted but wasn't happy with the result so have been painting patches on and off for days.  Today I bought a brand new quart and will apply a fresh coat to the entire wall, which will have to do.  It will be okay.

This is how I deal when the world becomes too much.  I paint a wall.  [Over the years I have maintained that a household project is cheaper than therapy or divorce, although I have sought therapy when necessary.]  Right now the world feels heavy, and there is little I can do beyond holding loved ones and those far away in the light of prayer. 

Syria.  New Mexico.  Colorado.  DC.  Maine.  Tragedy for so many....

Today is my 36th anniversary.  I usually don't mind when Ken works out of town.  We celebrated with dinner and a movie on Saturday.  Ken and I are flexible with celebrations because schedules have been skewed for almost three decades due to his work commitments and three children with active lives.  A celebration is a celebration regardless of the date on the calendar.

But today I got a call with the news that a Mennonite minister I've known for 28 years has died from leukemia.  A good man, a man of integrity and faith, a husband and father, is gone and a community mourns...

While friends in New Mexico mourn the loss of their friend who lays dying, a man who will be missed for his friendship and generous heart...

Storms and fires rage...

And violence continues to take lives in this country and abroad.

There is little one person can do. 

I can offer a prayer.  I can keep a good thought.  I can hold loved ones in the Light.

May you be well ~     

6 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

If painting works this well, it's no wonder I feel so good - I always seem to have a paintbrush in my hand. *smile*

Happy Anniversary to you both! 36 years - wow. That's a huge accomplishment.

I'll leave you with this quote to ponder:

"When I despair, I remember that all through history, the ways of the truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - Always." Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings, my friend,
Carolynn

RURAL said...

Congrats on the anniversary, anything over a few years is a accomplishment and cause for great joy, and celebration.

I never thought of painting quite like that, but you have sparked a idea in my head.

Loving Carolyn's message...and the quote.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Churchill called it his Black Dog.

And here is a quote that at first blush doesn't seem particularly elevating: “Never despair, but if you do, work in despair.”

So you write an essay, build a fence, paint a wall. You slog through it, until this uninvited guest leaves the same way it came, through some door you've never found.

That's been my experience. The good news is, the fucker always goes away.

Balisha said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.

The world seems to be in such turmoil right now and with the addition of your acquaintences who are suffering it makes one feel helpless.

Prayer does work...your comments and prayer certainly helped me, when my son died this summer.I'll never forget my "blog friends" at that sad time of my life.

Hopefully things will change for the better...but until then we can pray.
Balisha

Cindy said...

Happy anniversary. One year Al was away and sent 2 dozen red roses! Ours is 28 next week:) a you're right about things looking bleak in our world. Now adding Chicago mass shooting to the dreadful list. I will use your idea and send messages of love and hope.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.
Love this post
and always thankful
for your helpful comments
to this one :)