Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Summer's Last Long Weekend

Friday was a "gift day."  That's what I call a day that is fully scheduled...and then it's not.  The timber framers cancelled for Friday so Ken and I had a full day free.  It was slated to be the best day weatherwise of the long holiday weekend, so we took off for the coast.

We ran errands in Brunswick and Bath, had brunch in Wiscasset, and then made a stop at the Shelter Institute in Woolwich.  The Shelter Institute builds timber frame structures, offers classes on how to build timber frames, and sells every tool you can imagine you might need to build such a structure.  We had informative conversations with the people there, which led us to a lumberyard in Damariscotta to price shiplap, which we will use to enclose our timber frame shed.

Then we made our way to Pemaquid Point, which does not have a sandy beach or a harbor, but it does have a lighthouse to warn ships away from the rocky coast.  And it has an unobstructed view of the ocean from those rocks ~




It seems to happen this way ~ I don't get to the ocean for months and then I find myself there repeatedly.  I know I love being at the ocean, but I forget how it makes me feel.  When I get a renewed sense of that feeling, I want more of it.  My daughter has planned a special trip for us in three weeks where I will be at the ocean every day.  I can't wait.

In the meantime, the timber framers were here yesterday afternoon to put together the roof rafters.  They finished work just as it started to sprinkle, which was actually a relief after the torrential rain we had all day Monday and the periodic thunderstorms we had Saturday and Sunday.  If the rain stays away they should be able to mount the rafters on the frame by the weekend, and I will have more pictures to show.

7 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

I know how you feel. I'm missing the ocean. Your pending trip sounds like fun - can't wait to hear all about it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

How beautiful.
I miss the ocean
and then do not want to
leave the woods :)
Enjoy this time...

Pienosole said...

Beautiful! Wishing you beautiful time at the ocean!

Balisha said...

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip coming up.
Exciting work on your building. I would love to watch the builders and how they do things.
Balisha

Anonymous said...

Yes, please post more. It will take my mind off our heat wave.

-K- said...

Beautiful photos.

teri said...

A gift day! Indeed. xoxo