Sunday, January 12, 2014

Home Again

I am back in Maine.  My son and grandson drove me to the airport early Saturday morning.  Kenneth was sound asleep in his car seat when I looked at him one last time.  I didn't want to leave.  My son had said from the beginning that I could change my ticket and stay longer, and I had packed everything I would need to stay at least ten days.  There has been no word on my lost luggage, so it made sense to stick to the original schedule - not that I think it would have been any easier to leave days later.  Maybe people thought my red eyes indicated I had a bad cold.  I do feel badly about not being able to talk to the nice man who sat next to me on the first leg of the trip.  He tried to make conversation and  I could only manage one word answers before I needed to turn back to the window.  I knew this would be hard.  I didn't know how gut-wrenching it would feel to leave, to be so far away....

There were flight delays up and down the East Coast throughout the day due to bad weather, but I had only an hour delay in departing Charlotte, North Carolina.  We were told just before landing in Portland, Maine that it would be an instrument landing and once outside I could see why.  There was the thickest fog I have seen in years.  It wasn't an easy drive, but Ken did a good job getting us home safely.

I'm home, but I left my heart in San Francisco.... 

8 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Aww, sweetie. That little fella is truly blessed to be loved so fiercely.

cindy said...

Ahh, Sharon. {{hugs}} I have another new granny friend who said the same thing. "I should have stayed longer." Thinking of you.

Helen said...

Thankful for your safe arrival in the east. I feel your sadness. May you find your way back to San Fran real soon.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thankful you are safely home
and I know about that heart issue.
Every time my youngest granddaughter's leave and they are just 1 hour 1/2 away but busy with their lives - I cry when the car pulls out of the drive...
Just not enough time with them for this grandma.

Laura said...

Not to belittle your sorrow in any way dear Sharon, but he good news is in our times we have Skype so even though you are far away to give hugs… you can see them and visit in real time… not the same, but still kind of amazing.

RURAL said...

Wrenching, those first few visits when they are so small. So much is missed when you live far away...

I've always hated goodbyes...red eyes, sniffling nose, can't talk so I can totally understand. Here's to another visit soon.

Jen

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh boy, the tears we cry! I can so relate. Even going the other way from Shannon with my 2 small girls, knowing it was the last time I saw my mother. Oh boy, I'm starting again.

They know how much you love them Sharon and like another commenter said, Skype. The magic of Skype.

XO
WWW

teri said...

<3 Soon to be in your shoes. xoxox