Thursday, January 9, 2014

Take Your Chances

This post is for my husband, who wants to see a picture of me with our grandson.  Here you go, Ken.  I've been smiling at Kenneth all week.  Oh, and before I add the photo...you've bought my lottery ticket for Saturday, right?  Good.  Here you are.  The good-looking fella behind us is my son Peter~

The yellow blouse is new.  My luggage is officially lost.  When I arrived at the airport Saturday evening the airline said my bag had been scanned in San Francisco, so if I couldn't find it someone else must have picked it up by mistake.  Seventy-two hours later the airline told my son that they'd received a number of calls about missing luggage, which apparently was subject to delays and cancellations even if passengers successfully completed the trip.

It has been hard for me to wrap my head around the problem.  I have never spent so much time planning or care packing for a trip.  I wanted to look and feel good all week.  I packed my favorite clothes and two new blouses I'd been saving for a special occasion.  I packed my best skin care products, my most comfortable shoes, and outfits that coordinated in layers.  It has been cool but my sweaters are somewhere out there, so I've been wearing a coat I didn't expect to need once I was off the plane.  I had to have something other than the clothes on my back so I picked up three tops and two pairs of jeans Monday, none of which fit especially well.  I may never check luggage again ~ I can throw a few of my own clothes in a carry-on and look better than I have this week.

 It has been an opportunity to practice "release," my word for the year.  Either I picked the perfect word for 2014 or this year is going to be an exercise in futility.  I have had a hard time letting go of my disappointment.  My son thinks my luggage will turn up, and I appreciate his optimism, but I'm not so sure.  There were items that can't be replaced, and oddly I've been better able to make peace with that than how uncomfortable I've felt all week.  I don't get a do-over of this trip.

I did take Kenneth for a walk into town today.  He loves the motion of the stroller.  The newest baby equipment is amazing ~ the same carrier that snaps into the car seat can snap just as easily into the stroller.  Kenneth was content as long as I kept moving, which helped me walk off the calories of that coconut cupcake~
 
I have spent a good part of the week watching this precious baby sleep~

10 comments:

cauchy09 said...

there really is nothing better than a fresh, new baby. congrats again!

i hope they find your luggage. if not, then i hope you find peace.

Wisewebwoman said...

I've been caught on the no-luggage-for-you carousel and the last thing you want to do is shop for fresh underwear, socks and al the accessories specially packed for the trip. Deepest sympathy but I see the little guy nestled in your arms makes up for it.

Enjoy!

XO
WWW

Carolynn Anctil said...

Look at you! Isn't it funny how our words find ways to show up in our lives - and just think, it's only January! *grin* I think you look fabulous in your new yellow shirt, but really, no one is all that concerned with how you look, my dear. They're just delighted to have you there. Go buy some comfy sweatpants and a t.shirt and snuggle that baby while you have the chance.

Helen said...

You look great in yellow but I think what we're seeing is a lot of grandmother glow on your face. Keep snuggling with Kenneth and enjoy your family time. GREAT photo!

Balisha said...

Doesn't that picture of him sleeping just pull at your heart strings? Babies are so precious.
As for your luggage problem...we were once in Greece and my husband's luggage was lost. We were a couple of hours before the cruise ship took off and he had to buy clothes from people who didn't speak English very well.It was quite an experience. The luggage did catch up with us a couple of days later.
Have a wonderful time...Balisha

RURAL said...

Oh my goodness he's so...simply adorable..and you get to see him, and hold him. The joy that spills over in your words when you write about him is wonderful.

Now about that lost luggage...oh my that sucks big time. Ack, well you have the best attitude, and I love your word...it's going to be found, it's going to be found, it's going to be found!!!

Jen

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for sharing.
He is beautiful :)
There is nothing like grandchildren to bring joy to us.
Hope your luggage shows up.
You look beautiful in your new blouse
and happy ---

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I always do carry-on, but then, I'm a minimalist. Love the sleepy guy in the last photo.

teri said...

Oh my he is precious! Precious! Your word "release" may be as ornery as my words "curves" was last year. I have blended that word into my word for this year... safety. xoox love you.

Anonymous said...

That last picture is awesome! What a beautiful grandson! Congratulations, Sharon!