Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kitchen Art

For the last month I have been helping my daughter with projects. One of the things she wanted was to get artwork put up around her house. I started with a stained glass cat, which is a smaller version of the cat in our kitchen window. Years ago Ken made the smaller cat for my father. When my mother moved, she asked Ken if he would like to have the cat. Its tail was cracked, but Ken was able to replace that piece of glass. For Christmas we gave K the cat, which I hung in a window in her sunny yellow kitchen.

I found a variety of things when I unpacked boxes, bins, and bags at K's house. One of my finds was a wall hanging that we made a few years ago. K had a design in mind and some favorite scraps of material she wanted to use. I helped sew up the background, and then we tacked the tree on top. It looks like it's on fire.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I took a look at the cat in your kitchen, wow, so pretty! Now your daughter has the kitten ;) I'll bet she loves it.

Artwork is nice, makes a house personal, and feeling like a home.

Laura said...

Those are some interesting items that you came up with! :) I like the cat especially. Moving is always a stressful task, and I like the perspective you choose in describing it!

Anonymous said...

It's neat to rediscover things from the past and see them in a new environment. Gives a sense of continuity, and yet emphasizes the newness and excitement of where we are now.

Putting the pieces together... said...

Things on the walls! That's fantastic! It makes a house looked lived in and homey. The tree is in the kitchen? Across from the kitten (I knew the kitten looked familiar)? Kristen is luck to have a helper, and a mom who lives so close!