Monday, March 2, 2009

In Like A Lion

I had high hopes for February when I posted a welcome to the shortest month of the year, and it did start with a well-played Super Bowl game. I was naive to think that the month could deliver on every event and holiday. I have yet to plan a birthday dinner for my son. I missed most of the Oscars because our local ABC affiliate lost its transmission just 45 minutes into the ceremony. I didn't realize that the fuzzy screen was a precursor to losing power during a storm that would drop another foot of wet snow.

I am going to refrain from making any predictions about March. Let's just say that there appears to be no end to the winter weather pattern.

Ken and I decided to tempt fate and made plans to drive to Boston on March 1. Fortunately, the sporadic snow showers did not keep us from getting to Boston on time. I had an event to attend: my future daughter-in-law invited me to go to a bridal brunch hosted by the hotel where she and my son have decided to have their wedding and reception.

It was a wonderful event, and I was delighted to be included. The brunch was held in the rooftop ballroom, which has two long walls of windows that look out over the city of Boston. The room was filled with color and flowers, each table showcasing a unique design option. The gourmet food was delicious, and dessert was a special sample wedding cake for each table to share. The fashion show of wedding gowns provided the perfect ending for the event.

Ken and my sons joined us in the ballroom once the brunch was over. We toured the rooms they will use for their special day. Then we stopped in the lounge for something hot to drink before we headed out in the winter weather. We talked a bit about the guest list and other wedding details. It is pure delight for us to be in on some of the planning. We have plenty of time because the wedding is seventeen months away, not that anyone is counting down.

When I tell people that my son is engaged to be married, the first question I get is, " Do you like her?" I answer with a huge smile and say, "We love her," because we do. The second comment is usually, "You'll have to get something to wear," and I am glad I have time to work on that.

So March is off to a good start, despite the "in like a lion" weather. I'm going to hope for "out like a lamb" weather in four weeks.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

How nice that you were able to make it to Boston before the snow fell! That's so much of the fun for a big event like a wedding, all the pre-events, the preparations and celebrations along the way. How exciting is that - brunch in a rooftop ballroom! Enjoy the upcoming festivities! And after our 10 inches of snow last night, I will join you in wishing for a lamb taking us out of March.

CaShThoMa said...

Glad you could make it to Boston and that the weather wasn't a huge deterrent. The event sounds like it was great fun; how nice that you can begin to savor the wedding plans well ahead of time. In my day we didn't give my parents much time!

Hope your weather cooperates with the rest of your March plans.

I think we are coming out of our bad weather here; hope hope....

Anonymous said...

Whew, sounds like on big fancy, fabulous wedding coming! Forget the snow- it'll all be gone eventually:)
The nice thing about spring snow is that it doesn't stick around as long. It's the cold I am sick of, brrr.

Sydney said...

Conratulations! Sounds lovely. You described it to the point that I thought I was there! That's the first time I've heard of something so lavish put on for a client... were there other brides to be there as well, and each had a table or was it just for your family? (Former event planner,here, so curious, lol)

I used to live in Boston and it can be tough to get in and out of when a snowstorm comes. Glad you made it.

Anonymous said...

Despite all the wintery weather, you've got lots of happy things to celebrate and look forward to. Congrats on your son's upcoming wedding, and for gaining a DIL that you love!

Anonymous said...

What a special time for you & the bride! Your blog inspired my determination to be creative about ways to be included in my son's wedding planning process. Kinda tough when we will likely be separated by many miles in the 19 months between now & the big day.

Looking forward to posts as plans evolve.