Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ten Favorite Movies

I enjoyed reading Annie's post yesterday where she listed ten of her favorite films. I like to know what other people are watching.

I am taking the challenge to list ten of my favorites. I put some limits on which ones I could list because I tend to favor certain actors and topics, so I tried to mix it up a bit. They are not in any particular order because that would be impossible. The idea is not to think about it too long. Here goes:

1) Out of Africa - the only movie I've ever seen that I insisted my friends see, too, and then I gathered them together and took them to see it.

2) Four Weddings and a Funeral - my favorite Hugh Grant movie.

3) The Contender - a political thriller with Jeff Bridges and Joan Allen.

4) Men Don't Leave - Jessica Lange is terrific in this story about a woman's resilience.

5) Shirley Valentine - Pauline Collins as a woman who follows her dream in mid-life.

6) High Fidelity - because it's quirky and I like John Cusack.

7) Life As a House - Kevin Kline at his best.

8) Wonder Boys - Michael Douglas at his best.

9) Field of Dreams - because I limited myself to one sports movie and this one has an element of magic.

10) It's a Wonderful Life - because I limited myself to one Christmas movie and this one has Jimmy Stewart.

This wasn't easy. I'm going to stop here because I could go on and on. I think I will do themed lists of movies in the future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very challenging! Growing up my favorite was Gone With the Wind and now I guess my favorite is Whale Rider. I also love Lord of the Rings. I'll have to think about ten!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

You've named some of my favorites, Sharon. I'm a hopeless romantic so I also love Gone with the Wind; The Holiday; Pretty Woman; Doctor Zhivago, Camelot, The Way We Were, anything with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan..Sigh...I am hopeless...I even like those sappy old black and white things with the glittering movie stars of old. :-)

Elaine said...

I haven't thought of the movie Shirley Valentine in years! I loved that movie. I remember seeing it with a girlfriend at the movie theater and then coming home to enthusiastically describe it to my husband (middle-age woman leaves her dreary life (and husband) to start over in Greece). For some reason my 20-something (and newly married) husband wasn't as enthused about the flick.

Anonymous said...

I share many favorites with you! I also love "Enchanted April,"
"Cold Comfort Farm"
and "Lars and the Real Girl"
During special holidays, including Halloween, I adore spooky movies, or "Practical Magic," with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. And of course, John Carpenter's orginal "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis.
At Christmas, you nailed it with "Wonderful Life."
Oh ... and how could I forget "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ....

Sharon said...

Ooohhh...more good movies to add to my list - I've seen almost all of them and agree that they are list-worthy. This has been fun.

Allison said...

Cindy! Enchanted April is just the best! I LOVE that movie. I also like Love Actually which is quickly moving to the top of my favorite Xmas movie list. To Kill A Mockingbird is up there too. Driving Miss Daisy I love too. Ooh, I could go on and on!

mermaid said...

Hmmm. here are some movies I love:

Slumdog Millionaire
Goodwill Hunting
The Secret of Roan Inish
Whale Rider

My mind is going blank for now....
I'm also a sucker for love stories:)

Only the Half of It said...

I really liked Wonder Boys, too. And if I'm thinking fo the same Jessica Lange film, that was good too.
I have to say The English Patient was an all time favorite and Shawshank Redemption.