Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting Things Done

I've made a list, checked it twice, and have started crossing off projects that I have been meaning to finish for months. First up ~ two paintings I inherited from my great-grandmother, two nudes she painted in 1914. The man who does my framing was able to repair the frames and use the original glass. The finishing touch was to hang them up in my bedroom ~

I finally got around to dividing the peace lily plant that bloomed this summer ~

And I figured out a way to make tiles for a plaque that our daughter gave us for Christmas. The set was missing one of the numbers we needed, and I checked every possible source but couldn't find one anywhere. Last week it occurred to me that I could paint over some of the tiles and stencil the numbers on. Voila ~
Today I tackled a bigger task ~ making a place to work on sewing projects. For years my sewing table has been moved to whatever spot was available in whatever room had space. Since my youngest son is living in Boston year-round for classes and co-ops, I am going to share space in his room. He will still use the room when he's home, but the rest of the time I will have a place to sew and create. I started talking about this move in the spring but have been slow to take action, reluctant to make changes that are possible because my son won't be home for longer than a week-end or school break. The time for this particular transition has come. Maybe more good changes will follow.

4 comments:

Cindy H said...

Sharon, I've tackled a couple big If-I-Have-Time-Someday projects this summer, and, boy, did it feel good. So I think I can relate to your joy. It's a simple pleasure to relish.

By the way, I have a peace lily and could use some advice. When I first got it, January 2008, it was blooming. But over time, it hasn't done too well and it nearly died earlier this summer. I'm trying to nurse it back to health, so I transplanted the remaining healthy little sprouts into some easy-draining soil, and I'm trying to keep it more watered (I use one of those glass bulbs "As Seen on TV") and moisten the leaves occasionally with a water spritzer.

What do you do to maintain your peace lily?

Kristen said...

these are all things that I know you've been trying to find time to do - I feel accomplished just reading about all of them! The numbers look great, and, dare I say, better than the ones provided?

Elaine said...

I hope the feeling of satisfaction of a job(s) well-done stays with you for a while. It is so rewarding, isn't it?!?

Anonymous said...

OOhh -- these are cool projects, and so satisfying! Don't you love how these touches really enhance your home and make you feel even cozier? I started re-reading "Simple Abundance" recently, and like being reminded how the simple, beautiful things we do for ourselves and our homes go a long, long way...