Saturday, October 10, 2009

Home Safe

Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite authors, and I have been looking forward to reading her latest novel since Cindy wrote a post where she mentions Home Safe. I waited for it to come out in paperback, and then I paced myself so I could savor the words on the page for as long as possible.

I finished the book last night. I didn't want it to end and knew at her last word that I would soon return to read it again. In the main character, Helen, Berg artfully captures the transitions of a woman in mid-life. I felt that from early on in the book; the paragraph that begins at the bottom of page 236 leads me to believe that Elizabeth Berg knows that of which she writes:

"On a few occasions in her life, Helen has felt deep happiness as a kind of pain. The day she married Dan. The day Tessa was born. Now comes another such time. She sits down and puts her hand to her chest and rocks. Thinks of all she has lost and will lose. All she has had and will have. It seems to her that life is like gathering berries into an apron with a hole. Why do we keep on? Because the berries are beautiful, and we must eat to survive. We catch what we can. We walk past what we lose for the promise of more, just ahead."

I love that, the promise of more just ahead. What better reason to keep walking?

6 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Wow; I'm going to the bookstore today and buy this book. I have a long flight to Houston tomorrow and will enjoy a great read. The quote did it for me; amazing. Thanks.

Joanne said...

I love Berg too, she has such a way of really capturing the intricacies of life. You say you will soon return to read it again. I did that a year ago with an Alice Hoffman book (The Ice Queen). When I finished it, I was so taken with it that I picked it up and gave it a second read right away, just for the pleasure, and to gain a little more from her words.

Anonymous said...

You are right on the mark there Sharon! With your kind of determination I have no doubt that you will accomplish alot of whatever it is!

mermaid said...

Thanks for this. Sometimes good fiction is just as if not more spiritual than any spiritual book out there.

Elaine said...

As a card-carrying member in the Elizabeth Berg fan club, I will also seek this book out. For me, there's something spiritual when a writer can string together words to evoke such imagery and feeling. Berg has the affect on me ...

Cindy said...

This was such a special EB book, maybe because it's about a writer...