Friday, October 2, 2009

Please Hold....

In August it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to set up our household accounts so that we can pay most of them online. If it had been me, instead of Ken, who was out of commission for a month, it would have been his responsibility to pay the monthly bills. While he knows what accounts we have and what goes in and out, I have my own "clip bills together in the order that they are due" and "I know when I need to mail that so we don't incur a late fee" system that has worked for 32 years.

It is time for an upgrade.

The easiest solution seemed to be to set up as many accounts as possible so they can be paid online.

Solution? Yes.
Easy? No.

In September I spent almost two hours setting up the accounts I want to pay electronically so that in October I could access the online statements to pay the bills. So far this makes sense, right?

Last night I wanted to pay one of our credit card bills. I signed in, cleared security, and found the current balance due. I clicked "pay" and an outdated checking account number came up, as in it has been closed for two and a half years.

I tried to delete it. No go.

I went through the process to add our current checking account. Things went smoothly until I tried to make that the primary account from which to pay the bills. The program would not let me "confirm" the new account, and I couldn't "delete" the old account until I had a new account from which to draw funds.

I was at this for thirty minutes when I called the 800 number for assistance. Then I was on hold for twenty minutes. A nice woman then took my call, but she couldn't help me. She could connect me to an online technician, if I would please hold. More minutes passed...and then I was disconnected.

I went back to the computer to see if I could pay the current bill with the "unconfirmed" account, and it would let me do that. The payment was scheduled for October 3, which is a Saturday. Some places will not post payments on Saturday, and the bill was due Monday, but what if the payment I've made doesn't count because it's from an "unconfirmed" account....

It was late. I went to bed.

I tackled the problem head-on this morning. I called the 800 number again and ran through the gamut of options until another nice woman took my call. No, she couldn't help me, but she could connect me to an online technician. I explained how well that worked last night, so she gave me the direct number in case I got disconnected.

This time the call went through. The technician answered all my questions and gave me information I didn't know I needed.

Yes, they will accept payment from my "unconfirmed" account because the amount is less than $400.

Yes, they post payments on Saturday.

Yes, I can delete the old account once my new account has been confirmed.

To confirm the new account I need to check with my bank in two days for the amount of cents the company has deposited in my account. Then online I enter that amount(s) in the proper box, which verifies that indeed that checking account is mine. That confirms the new account. Then I can delete the old account.

I want to pay my bills online.

Please hold....

6 comments:

Cindy said...

My husband and I sort of take turns paying bills. I'll do it a few years, then he does it. Well, last time he took over he went to electronic bill paying. I hope he never expects me to try that! Sounds horrifying and frustrating.

Joanne said...

Oy, Sharon! I give you credit for the determination to do this. But this is exactly why I write a check, put it in the envelope with a stamp and mail it. I just don't trust the online system on so many levels!

helen said...

I feel your pain. Good thing you are a persistent problem solver.

We've been lucky. Our bank has a "Bill Pay" system. We log in, tell them what to pay to whom & when, a check is issued or funds transferred electronically, our account is debited when the check or EFT clears. Works like a charm. Now, if the bank would quit updating their software so the screens look different every couple years I'd be happier. Can't have it all!

CaShThoMa said...

What a mess and a time waster! I can hear your frustration loud and clear. I think I'll stick with checks!

Only the Half of It said...

What a pain!
I find online bill pay a real convenience but also worry about ID theft, plus I just can't bring myself to have an automatic bill pay each month. I feel I need to go in and do it myself just to keep an eye on things.
And with so many different deadlines for all the bills, it's stressful keeping track of it all.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I try to sit down together to do the bills, and this was an area in which I was not participating -- for too many years. We do pay some of our bills online now too.