Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wanted: Local Woman Who Enjoys Politics

I felt deflated when I hung up the phone.

My friend in town is moving to Boston. She is one of two friends I have here. I met her when I wanted information about the 2008 presidential caucus. She is the chair of the town's Democratic committee, and we hit it off immediately.

We both love politics. Our children are grown. We have similar interests and have both been trying to start a new career.

Her husband has taken a job in Boston, which is exciting for both of them and will open up possibilities for her job search. She shared that it's also scary because it means starting over in a new place where they don't know anyone. They have lived here more than twenty years.

I will miss talking to her and attending meetings with her. She is organized, knowledgeable, and passionate about politics.

I have offered to continue to help with the local Democrats, but I do not want the position of committee chair, which is a lot of work and means constantly trying to get other volunteers to help.

So her move will leave a hole in my daily life. As happy as I am for her, I am that sad for myself. In the year and a half that I've been active with local politics, I have not met anyone else who has the same interests or wants to be as involved.

I will miss our conversations about what's possible.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I can feel your sadness. As we get older, we truly cherish our kindred spirits, and we all need to have people nearby who share our passions and our politics. It struck me during the last election that many of my immediate neighbors are very conservative ... but I still have my friends and colleagues nearby who share my beliefs and make things sane and bearable when politics get heated. Somewhere out there are other friends who, like you, are looking for a kindred political spirits. You will find each other!

Cindy H said...

Sharon, I feel for you. I've been there, too. Even if you keep in touch long distance, it's not the same as personal contact. But I believe that, if you keep yourself open, you'll find other friends in your area.

Joanne said...

I know it's not the same, but we live in a technological age that allows relationships to continue to a much greater extent than not too long ago. Even though your friend's moving away is a sad loss, I hope that it is at least a small consolation, the ease with which you can still reach out to her.

Kitty said...

I can relate to this. Recently I've been thinking about all the people who've come into and gone out of my life. Sometimes it would be me leaving, and sometimes them. More doorways closing, and new doorways opening up just beyond the bend. (I'm mixing metaphors there, but you get the idea.)

Anonymous said...

Oh mannnn! I know how important that is to you Sharon! All I can say is have your astrology chart done- a pattern is starting to emerge here! Hugs across the miles.

Cindy said...

{{{hugs}}} I hope someone just as wonderful comes into your life very soon. She's lucky to have you for a friend, even a long-distance one.

twila said...

Sigh. I felt this way when my only real friend moved to california 3 years ago. The rest of my friends were in church, which I no longer am, so I've been in a season of solitude. That has its perks, too! I seem to always grow so much in my inner life during these times.

Jan Lundy said...

Sharon,
Perhaps this little gift will brighten your day. You won the weekend giveaway of a copy of my book, Your Truest Self. Come on over and claim in, then zip me an email with your snail mail address. I am soooo happy it is you.

Please hold the faith in terms of this situation. I do know that as we grow and change, relationships do too. Keeping ourselves open (and intentions positive) allows the universe to send new kindred spirits our way. I moved 6 years ago and lost so many of my friends. It has taken a long time to make new ones. Every one is so busy. But now it is happening and I am very grateful. And so many fine new friends from the web, it just blows me away...some of whom I will even meet in person this year. :-) I can hardly wait...