Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quiet Time

When my children were little we had quiet time every afternoon.

As babies and toddlers, they took naps. Some days I took a nap, and some days I relished the quiet.

As the kids got older, quiet time continued to be part of our routine. Some days they napped, and some days they read books or played quietly on their beds.

Quiet time was good for all of us.

My kids learned to rest when they were tired.

And I learned that quiet can be a good thing.

Now when I am home alone I realize how quiet my life is.

This has allowed time for reflection, introspection, and healing.

The quiet has filled my days in the last week. I have had some things to think through, to resolve, and to forgive. Feelings of anger and vulnerability are not healthy.

Today I realized I can feel differently.

Quiet time allows room for the process.

The journey continues....

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I agree, quiet is space, giving room for so much. My children were the same way, consistent nappers, and when older, they knew how to handle quiet. I think quiet is so necessary for our thoughts, for the soul.

Anonymous said...

The very words "quiet time" bring me a sense of peace, just thinking about the concept! We were nap takers when my son was younger too, and I need to get back into that practice.

patti said...

I LOVE quiet time and usually gain it during runs with my dog. All she does is breathe hard.

Blessings on a GREAT post.
Patti

Laura said...

"Today I realized I can feel differently.

Quiet time allows room for the process."

Sharon this is a priceless realization...we can feel differently...we do not have to stay stuck in a particular feeling...we may visit it from time to time, but when we sit in quiet and observe, then we see that the feelings do pass.

MMH said...

Lovely and true.

Cindy said...

I've had a hectic semester this term and have found that a nap or at least "quiet time" every afternoon is essential. The one time I skipped, I was crabby and didn't feel like cooking dinner.

patti said...

What a BEAUTIFUL post and I LOVE the title. Thank God for flowers, of all varieties, dear one...

Blessings,
Patti