Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Timekeeping

I once believed that the more I have to do, the more I get done.

That was true when I had a tight schedule and needed to work what I wanted to do into a life filled with other people and obligations. I found time to spend with family and friends, time to take care of a house, time to work outside the home, and time to go back to school.

Now I have too much unstructured time and too many choices.

Over the past three years I have found ways to fill my days. There is always something to do.

There are chores and errands and projects, sleeping and eating and exercising, writing and reading and sewing, bookkeeping, movie viewing, and spending time with other people.

I was able to fit things in where there was time. If something came up that wasn't on the calendar, I moved my time around and made room. I stayed up late when I wanted and got up early when necessary.

I haven't had a set routine and my schedule has been flexible.

Now I want to add structure to my days.

I am having a hard time.

It sounds ridiculous, but I have too many choices about how to plan my days. There is no framework to start with. It's up to me to decide when to schedule what and how to set priorities. I want to keep doing everything I have been doing, and I want to start doing things I've never done before.

I am buried in paperwork. It seems like the more I try to streamline record keeping, the more there is to keep track of. I have invested in "Quicken for Home and Business" but have yet to find time to install it, and then I need to figure out how to use it. I need to get my business files organized, which will be easier once I get Quicken up and running.

I am tired of cleaning and cooking, but I like a clean house and balanced meals.

Keeping a house for two people isn't much different than keeping house for five people. The same things need to be done regardless of how many people are around, but there are fewer people to help with what needs to be done.

The other side of that coin is that now there are three family members living elsewhere, people I like a lot and want to spend time with when they are available. I have always made time for my kids. Now the need is for chunks of time instead of time distributed over weeks and months. Since time together is harder to come by, it matters that I am able to change plans and be available.

The irony is that since I don't have a job outside the home, until now I have moved around what I have to/want to get done to meet the time constraints of everyone else.

Now I need to consider what it means to be self-employed.

I am frustrated. I don't know what to do first. I am not even sure what I want.

Sigh.

13 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

I understand the conundrum....since I work 3 days a week, when I am home (4 days in a row; Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues), I get pretty restless with the unstructured nature of the days. I constantly want to find a schedule yet when I do, I feel like I don't have any "free time" and that sets me on edge. I want both but I want to ACCOMPLISH. I think this is a common feeling when you have large chunks of unstructured time. Sigh is right. I wish you well as you work through this phase; it is a phase and it will pass. Best to you!

annie said...

I hear ya.

Joanne said...

First, I hear you on the cooking and cleaning and feel the same way. Unfortunately I don't think those are going away anytime soon :(

How about a Pro/Con List? Or itineraries, short-term and long-term? I keep a pretty journal specifically for itineraries that I write for each and every week and find it helps structure my time immensely.

patti said...

Yep, it's a seesaw, girl.
Up, down...

The thing is, I LOVE praying with God about what we should do at the first of a day. He can and often does change things, but I see Him as an orderly being, the creator of an orderly world. B

Besides, it helps me get outta the PJs and get to living to have things written down!!

Blessings as you make these decisions!!
Patti

mermaid said...

I find that when I am actively looking for an answer, I get more frustrated. Maybe letting go and letting the answer present itself may help. (Not that it's easy).

May you find ease, and maybe then a natural structure will materialize.

Anonymous said...

Be easy with yourself. You are trying way to hard. Feel how this space that has been given to you is like a big hug from the Universe. Enjoy it. It won't last forever.
Be easy with yourself.
Peace~
Dawn

Cindy said...

I know just what you mean about being tired of cleaning and cooking! On figuring out how to structure your days, I had that issue several years ago when I took time off teaching to write. It took a while (maybe a year!) but eventually I learned to stay in my office and work from 7-2 every day. Weekends off. Each morning I set an agenda for what I needed to accomplish. I got so much done! But first I had to make up my mind not to turn on the televison, do laundry, check email, or take phone calls from friends who wanted to chat.I was at home, but I was also at work, and I had to respect that so other people would, too. Good luck working out your version of this challenge.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right about how hard it is to structure time when you are self-employed and have a newly emptied nest, or are newly retired. As you know, I've been a freelance writer since the 1980s, and I worked at home while my son was young. The school schedule gave me structure -- I had to work around the car pool and my writing deadlines, etc ... and that really helped. Now, I find I putter around a lot more.

Sometimes we go through fallow times, Sharon -- at least I do. I find that if I just go with it for a little while, and keep my mind open to possibility, something new WILL come along.

Meanwhile, you should set up a routine for some of the things you do, large and small. Set aside time for blogging (and limit that time, or it will suck you up) and set aside time for writing, paying bills, etc.

I rise early and work on the computer in the mornings, doing my writing, blogging, checking Facebook. I do not allow myself to work past 10:30 on that stuff, as a rule. Then I move on to my 3-D projects around the house, etc.

Laura said...

I seem to have developed tendonitis or some kind of over use injury in my left wrist and hand...making typing painful for me...so I might not be blogging as much for a while... this includes commenting on your amazingly inspiring blog-and this is soooooo hard for me. (this is kind of a form message I've typed and am copying and pasting at all my customary blog hangouts. But I can still read your posts- I will be present to you in a quiet way-reading and viewing your words and images, and leaving a simple ☺
to let you know I have dropped by and am thinking about you.

Gentle steps,
Laura

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

When I got laid off from my job as a staff reporter at a daily paper in the early 1980s, I found myself with unstructured time. I developed a weekly routine for looking for jobs (which I had to do in order to keep qualifying for my unemployment checks). So that created a bit of structure for me automatically. But I found I needed that time to decompress and then recreate myself. I found a job as a stringer, which turned into part-time, which turned into full-time work. Then I found a better paying full-time position. I was lucky that God took me step by step back into full-time work.

During that time, I also stumbled upon a book called "Sidetracked Home Executives." I consider myself a fairly organized person, but I learned a lot from this book about how to organize my time when I didn't have a job or other commitments to organize my day for me.

I have a feeling that right now, you're "cocooning" and you'll emerge even better than ever!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sharon- I remember a time when I was laid off/unemployed for several months and home alone all day. I could hardly stand it, it took awhile to get my balance and figure out how to fill my days. You do admirably and are so darn hard on yourself! You have ambition and drive. Too many choices can muddle the brain but I love all of the ideas in your comments- much better than mine :)

patti said...

There with ya, sista! Let us hear from you.

BTW, LOVE THE PRODUCT!!!
P

MMH said...

It's all true. When I don't have deadlines, I wander around thehouse and blog and check emails and read the newspaper and get very little done. Or so I think.