Thursday, April 29, 2010

Fertile Ground

The sun is shining this morning. The last two days have been rainy. The temperature has dropped so low at night that the heat has been running.

The tulips closed up against the cold. Maybe they will open today.

My friend in town started working in her garden earlier this month. The season was three weeks ahead. She has been in her glory turning over the soil and preparing the ground for planting. At 77 years old she still does everything she wants to do.

I have been teaching my friend how to use a computer. In February someone gave her a small, used laptop. Ken and I got it hooked up, and I have been helping her learn how to use email. She has never typed or used a computer before, so we started at the beginning. I am going over to her house this morning to show her how to do a search online. I will show her, and she will go through the steps herself. She will write down notes and thank me, and next week we will go over it again.

At 10:00 she and I will attend Crafty Ladies, a group that meets once a month to visit and do handwork. The women are all retired and when my friend introduced me to the group 16 months ago I was sure that I would soon be working and unable to meet with them for long. I know them well enough now that I am able to make small talk.

Yesterday I listened again to a series of CDs by Caroline Myss on self esteem. Each time I listen I hear something new and make connections. I have been observing myself this week, what I say to myself and what I think about. I am intentionally changing my story and holding myself accountable. I ask myself what I want my life to be. I am waiting for the answer to evolve.

The last sentence on the last CD is, "At the end of the day the greatest gift you can give the world is a healthy you."

The journey continues....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the day you have planned out so far sounds like it will be relaxing AND eventful.
Happy crafting and continue planting seeds of positive talk in that head of yours!
Peace~
Dawn

Laura said...

Sharon I love that you are giving of yourself in this way to your friend...giving of ourselves to others is a sure way to build self esteem...not because we get puffed up and superior, but because we are opening to love. Listening and teaching others reminds us to do the same for ourselves. Remember, success isn't about money...it is about a full and happy heart.

Joanne said...

Your friend, at 77, sounds like a delight. Good for her for continuing to learn and grow!

I'm intrigued about observing our selves. I think it's sometimes surprising what we really do find, and that we really do have the power to change our story just through exerting our will on our thoughts and words.

patti said...

Oh, I agree! Have a wonderful time. Sigh. Have a tilled plot but no plants yet!!

If you have a chance, stop by my post, which I didn't get up till late! There a poignant poem by my favorite, Mary Oliver, that shares my angst about the Gulf oil spill...

Blessings,
Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Cindy said...

Doing that for your friend is such an act of kindness. And it's so nice to know that some people are fearless about change at any age. Unlike my mother, a mere 71 years old and an adamant refuser of learning how to use a computer.

Cindy L said...

I love that quote from the CD and will remember it! And I agree that you're giving your elder friend a wonderful gift in teaching her how to use the computer. I know many people in their 70s and 80s who use a computer, and they seem so much more connected to everything than the peers who are not using computers. I wish my mom had been willing to learn, but....