Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Adventures In Faith

I left home Friday morning with a change of clothes, a thermos of coffee, two ham sandwiches, a bag of Cape Cod potato chips, and a box of ginger & lemon creme cookies, which were popular with my roommates. Thirty-three of us boarded a tour bus and headed for Hartford. Our bus driver was a spry elderly man who told us he had 2 million miles to his credit as a truck driver, and I believed him after I witnessed his handling of the bus in heavy traffic. He got us to our destination in one piece, ahead of schedule, and with a few good laughs to boot.

On the way south we stopped at the Maine Mall, where some wanted to go shopping. My friend and I instead "mall walked" continuously for the hour, which made it easier to sit on the bus for long periods of time. Recent health issues make my friend easily fatigued and bring on migraines and bouts of dizziness. Under a doctor's supervision, she is figuring out what she needs to do to take care of herself; regular walking when she is on her feet and periodic resting when she gets a chance are two things that help.

When I had asked my friend the name of the event, she said she couldn't remember. I used the bits of information she shared to do a Google search and found an event that fit the description. Once on the bus it was confirmed; we were going to join more than 15,000 others for a Women of Faith conference at the Coliseum. I don't know if my friend really couldn't remember or if she didn't want to take the chance that I would say "no" to her invitation. Either way I was glad to go with her to share an experience she was looking forward to.

Our group, along with countless others, checked into the Hilton across the street from the Coliseum. There was a walkway between the two buildings, which was a real time saver. The staff at the Hilton was helpful and accommodating, and once we got the heat regulated the room was fine. We snacked on the food we brought while my friend rested and we called for more towels.

Then I took a deep breath and we went to the Friday night session of the conference.

I don't write much about religion because I think of myself as spiritual rather than religious.

I grew up in a "peace" church on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., which provided places for peace marchers to sleep in the 60's and started a soup kitchen in the fellowship hall in the 70's. I learned at an early age that God loved me and everyone else, and that love didn't depend on how or where we worshipped. I attended church with friends whenever they asked, although they often couldn't reciprocate because they had to attend their particular services. When I was in college I attended a Lutheran church because I liked the sermons and a Methodist church because they had an active youth group.

I have only gotten more liberal as I've gotten older. I appreciate what all religions have to offer, and the more I learn the more I see how much richer life is when I keep an open mind.

My friend knows this about me. She knew I could appreciate the music and the stories even if I don't wear religion on my sleeve. I enjoyed the music of Sandy Patti. I nodded in agreement to the stories of Anita Renfroe and laughed at her comedy, and the stories of Patsy Clairmont, until my side hurt. I couldn't recite a Bible verse if my life depended on it, but I can see the value of bringing those verses to life through stories.

Throughout Friday evening and the sessions on Saturday I found myself looking up to the rafters. I really wanted to see the sky, the full moon beaming and the bright sun shining. We took long walks outside during the breaks.

And during the presentations inside I sent loving-kindness out to the thousands of women at the event. I asked that they be safe, well, happy, peaceful and at ease.

More than once someone said to me, isn't it wonderful to be surrounded by women who believe the way you do? I chose not to respond. I was thinking that my "tent" is so much larger than this and includes so many more than those who believe the way I do. I am grateful for my friends of all faiths and beliefs, as I am grateful that my friend wanted to share her Christian experience with me.

On the way home my friend shared with me that one of the women in the group had approached her. "Your friend..." the woman started "is..." and my friend interjected "different?" "Yes...and she's fun!"

Well, I'm grateful for that, too.

5 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Wonderful post, Sharon. Timely too as we move through Thanksgiving week. I'm with you; the tent is much larger for me too but sometimes it's very satisfying to explore a focused experience, especially with a dear friend. There are many paths to the divine.

Happy Thanksgiving, my internet friend.

Carolynn Anctil said...

An open mind is always best. I think it's wonderful that your friend wanted you to join her and that you did.

Kel said...

Hi Sharon, swinging by via Laura's place...
several years ago, i could have been the person inviting someone to such an event, but my journey since then has taken such a path as to find even a tent confining
i resonate with your looking to the rafters and wanting to see the sky

mind if i hang around and read a bit...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, I loved this post. Could have been me sharing. With a past of continual church attendance and teaching and then on to a more liberal worship practice. Now the tent is much larger for me also.
It is wonderful to find others that believe like we do. I have found that with internet friends.
Thankful for you!

Anonymous said...

What a great post Sharon! A Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!