Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Two Quilts In The Making

Earlier this year a friend asked me if I would help her with a project. She wanted to know if I would make each of her adult sons a quilt from the shirts that belonged to their dad, who died unexpectedly in January. Without hesitation I said yes. My friend cut squares in two sizes and said I could be creative in how I constructed each quilt. The colors compliment each other ~

Two weeks ago I started making larger squares from the smaller pieces ~

And paired those with the six-inch squares to make combinations that will eventually find their way into a pattern ~

With a place for special patches from a father's past ~

6 comments:

mermaid said...

I've got tears in my eyes, Sharon. Bless the boys' mother for such a loving, creative, memorable idea, and bless your heart for containing that wish and creating the gift.

How is your Inner Mother today?

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a wonderful gift. The patches really are the finishing touch.

Helen said...

You are an amazing artist -- your pallet is fabric and thread mixed with a passion for creating with color.

Cindy said...

I don't sew (let alone quilt!) but I so admire people who do. Your quilts are always gorgeous and your generosity with your friend is sewn into every stitch!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I do not have a talent for sewing.
You do!!
This is beautiful - you are so talented.
What a wonderful thing to do your friend.
The quilt will be here when we are gone.
What memories you are a part of.

teri said...

"... to make combinations that will eventually find their way into a pattern." Wow-

With these striking quilts; in every stitch you are creating tangible love. What a blessing.