Thursday, November 4, 2010

November Sky

I came up the stairs last evening and was struck with the beauty of the sky I saw through the living room window. I went out to the porch to take a photo ~

Outside, there were places where the color was even more stunning ~
The sky reminded me of the wonder that surrounds me.
* * * * * * * *
My day yesterday started with a doctor's appointment. The mobility in my shoulder is improving. The treatments and exercises are working. When I got home I felt at loose ends. I was coming down off the high of five extraordinary days.
* * * * * * * *
On Friday I drove to New Hampshire to meet my friend Laura in person. We have blogged back and forth for several months and have wanted to get together since early summer. She made space for a visit on Friday, even though she hasn't been feeling well. I am so grateful she did. We laughed and shared those stories of who we are and where we come from. I left with the feeling I have when I spend time with a kindred soul.

Then my oldest friend [in years known, not in age] flew to Maine for a long-weekend. She has a lot going on in her life and, while we have tried to make plans for a visit, it didn't look like we'd meet up this year. She surprised me with a phone call last week to say she was making plans to fly into Portland on Saturday. We haven't seen each other in five years, though we talk on the phone and email often. We picked right up where we left off, as we always do, as if the last forty years were merely a blip in time. It's not easy to sustain a close friendship over the years and across the miles, but we have found a way to support each other through all life has to offer. We had such a wonderful time that we are talking about how we can get together next year.
* * * * * * * *
Then it was just me again.
The stark contrast of time alone reminded me to continue the work to befriend myself. Like friendship with others, befriending myself takes time and space and attention.
This month I will let the sky remind me of that.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

Your photos and the way you express your feelings make me so happy when I come here! I love meeting internet friends in real life, too.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

First - I love the photos. Second - I am almost envious you met Laura. Her sharing is so special to me.
I have been writing over 2 years and so many special people respond. I have never met anyone in person.
Yes, we need to be a friend to ourselves.
Love your post. Have a good rest of the day - filled with peace.

Joanne said...

The November can be so dramatic, especially with the tree branches in front of it. What thought provoking images to take inspiration from.

teri said...

Sounds like an incredible week. I am glad you shoulder is feeling better. And wow- meeting Laura and seeing your oldest friend?!(I am guessing this is your Virginia friend?)What blessings!! Thinking of you in the quiet of after.

Laura said...

sharon,
your photos are so gorgeous and yes a reminder of the contrast of loneliness and the importance of befriending our selves. Giving and opening to receiving the same love and compassion we offer others to our own beautiful (and for those of us who live in places surrounded by forests) sometimes lonely selves.

YOUR visit brightened my spirits so much and indeed you know how I was feeling too. Definitely kindred spirits on life's journey. I'm so happy that your shoulder is moving with more ease...evidence that you are learning to lighten your load! And that you had such a wonderful time with your dear, dear old friend...that she really was able to make the trip!

xo
ps....You might feel lonely, but you are never alone...we are all here and love you...and the Holy Presence is deep within your heart always there to reflect back your own wisdom, and waiting for you to listen.

Helen said...

"Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you know they are always there."
(unknown author)

On your quest to befriend yourself, remember all your wonderful qualities that make you so special to others.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I love seeing the photos you post on your blog. Have you considered doing photography professionally?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! All of the social time sounds lovely and perhaps it's time to make some closer friend nearer to you (including yourself)? What a great post!

mermaid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mermaid said...

Sharon, wow. I have been looking at the sky over these last few weeks, and have no words to describe the sheer beauty of colors and open space. The heavens are opening for you, dear one. To meet Laura and your dear friend again...the heavens are opening for you...