Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Paradise Fields

My friend Cynthia Harrison, of A Writer's Diary, has made her book of poetry Paradise Fields available online for your reading pleasure. Some weeks ago she shared printed copies with readers who left comments, and I treasure mine. The poems are insightful and personal. I particularly like the poems she wrote to her sons upon the occasion of their weddings. Those two poems and others in the collection are intimate reflections that Cindy shares with her readers and should be experienced as coming directly from her.

There are two poems that I would like to share here. The first speaks to me as I endeavor to come out of "hiding" and share my whole self with the people in my life. The second offers a promise of what's possible when I let go of fear.

The Great Game
by Cynthia Harrison

How do we ever
tell each other the truth?

We put on our jackets and masks
& leave home for a world of lies.

Yet jackets have pockets
with souls tucked inside

& there are places
where people talk

face naked.


Adventure
by Cynthia Harrison

Walking through the meadow was like taking no steps at all.
I seemed to glide like in a famous dream. Flowers brushed
my soles, I floated in a warm stream and never got wet.
Sun is in your heart, hearts are also eyes, also mirrors
reflecting this perfect place.

I wish we'd stayed forever. I wish we'd never looked toward
the forest at the edge of light. How I hate darkness sweeping
away all comfort. How I hate traveling cautiously,
one foot before the next. I call you to follow, still fearing
intrusions, sudden noises in the underbrush.

You come regardless and catch my fear. This is an
adventure after all. Don't worry, I tell you.
I'm here.

(poems from Paradise Fields by Cynthia Harrison, TCAM Press, 2010.)

7 comments:

Cindy L said...

Lovely poems! Just to show you how behind I am, thanks to mom and family crisis, I have not taken time to visit Cindy's site for the news .. thank you for sharing these great poems!

Cindy said...

Aw, thanks Sharon. It was pretty fun stopping here and seeing my name in lights;-)

CaShThoMa said...

Beautiful poems. I especially love the first one; we are so often who we are not. Most of the time I'm not who I really am. Authenticity is a forever goal.

Anonymous said...

Perfect. Love them.

teri said...

Sharon thank you for sharing these poems. I had to walk my dog before commenting. Words take so long to process in this brain, so bear with me. The insight that came to me is my avoidance of "adventures" is because they bring to light the things I am afraid of. But what I find really ironic is while I dread the dark forest I think that is where I hide my soul. Hmmm- So the only way to fetch it out of there is to go in after it. Maybe I should just imagine the forest as a pocket- and it won't be so scary.

Patti Lacy said...

Face naked. Love that.

Think of my true friends as those that can see me heart naked and not scream, AAAARRRGHGGGGHGHGH!!!

I so enjoy your place and have missed it while in the writers cave.
Blessings,
Patti

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I relate to the first poem so much.
I am a private person....here I am online weekly sharing my life.
Sure never thought I would do that :)